Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Help with baby geese

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with baby geese
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:41 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi all I have just adopted 3 gosling's (now 4 weeks old) 2 girls (Topsy and Tippy) and a boy (Turvy) they are so much fun. What i want is some advice on letting them swim etc. The lady I purchased them from scared me on not getting them cold etc (it's summer and NTH QLD) I let them out side in a large cage during the day. Can I let them swim for a short while during the hot part of the day. Phalara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:15 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Hi Phalara - I envy you with your goslings! I would love to have some geese, too if I had enough land.

Now, about letting them swim, the main thing is to make sure that they can get out of any container you use (and get in safely to a lesser extent). I imagine that they are like ducklings and they will love playing in water. A lot gets splashed out in the process and it is when the water level drops that there is most likely to be a problem. Put the swimming container in a spot sheltered from wind, or erect a windbreak around it, if necessary. You can also roll up old towels (like a sort of bolster) for them to dry off on, if you are concerned about them getting cold.

At 4 weeks they will be pretty strong (my ducklings have just been weaned at this age) and will really enjoy a swim! :D I 'll guess that any swim won't be all that short if they have their way :lol: Just keep a close eye on them, some water ready to top up the bath and they will be fine. A baby's bath makes a useful "pond". There are quite a few members here who keep geese and they will be along soon to help you if you need more information. Also the lady you bought them from would most likely give good advice. Enjoy! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:38 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Give them a shallow water vessel. The plastic clam shells are ideal. Or a wash up bowl that holds around 10 litres of water. If you see them struggling to get out of the water vessel, add bricks to the vessel to make a platform allowing them to "pop" out of the water easily. They won't be waterproof until they are fully feathered and producing oil that they'll spread over their feathers while preening. I wouldn't worry about them getting too cold aslong as they have a dry, sheltered spot to sit in after a bath.

Jacquie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:28 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

cackles wrote:
Hi Phalara - I envy you with your goslings! I would love to have some geese, too if I had enough land.

Now, about letting them swim, the main thing is to make sure that they can get out of any container you use (and get in safely to a lesser extent). I imagine that they are like ducklings and they will love playing in water. A lot gets splashed out in the process and it is when the water level drops that there is most likely to be a problem. Put the swimming container in a spot sheltered from wind, or erect a windbreak around it, if necessary. You can also roll up old towels (like a sort of bolster) for them to dry off on, if you are concerned about them getting cold.

At 4 weeks they will be pretty strong (my ducklings have just been weaned at this age) and will really enjoy a swim! :D I 'll guess that any swim won't be all that short if they have their way :lol: Just keep a close eye on them, some water ready to top up the bath and they will be fine. A baby's bath makes a useful "pond". There are quite a few members here who keep geese and they will be along soon to help you if you need more information. Also the lady you bought them from would most likely give good advice. Enjoy! :D

Hi Cackles thanks for the help I'm lucky I have 40acres for them to roam in when they are bigger. Phalara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:30 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Kirribindi Farm wrote:
Give them a shallow water vessel. The plastic clam shells are ideal. Or a wash up bowl that holds around 10 litres of water. If you see them struggling to get out of the water vessel, add bricks to the vessel to make a platform allowing them to "pop" out of the water easily. They won't be waterproof until they are fully feathered and producing oil that they'll spread over their feathers while preening. I wouldn't worry about them getting too cold aslong as they have a dry, sheltered spot to sit in after a bath.

Jacquie

Hi Jacquie thanks for the advice. I'm having so much fun with these little fellow. I'm not getting much work done. Phalara