Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - do different breeds have unique personalities?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:44 pm 

We have lived with pairs of Saxony drakes for about eleven years. When one died recently, we couldn't find another Saxony, so we purchased a four month old Silver Appleyard drake. They get on perfectly well, but the new drake doesn't like going in the pond (!), and seems to sit around doing nothing a lot of the time. A complete contrast to the energy of the Saxony's who used to revel in the pond and busy themselves with foraging around the garden much of the day. The trouble is, the newcomer is teaching the (four year old) Saxony his ways, rather than the other way around!

Is this just luck and to do with the individual Appleyard, or do different breeds have unique characteristics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:30 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I think each duck has its own personality.
If you read some posts on what a particular breed is like some will say a certain breed is very noisy while others will have no noise problems.
How old is the drake? COuld it be he's just geting used to the new surroundings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:25 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

We have both .Saxony are go,go,go the appleyards do things at a more leisurely pace.The appleyards we have are not as fond of water were the saxonys dive in .The saxonys will just sit under the hose the appleyards generally move away.Our saxonys are very noisy the appleyards very quiet.They are chalk and cheese but all have their own personality which is why I like them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:39 am 

Jana wrote:
I think each duck has its own personality.
If you read some posts on what a particular breed is like some will say a certain breed is very noisy while others will have no noise problems.
How old is the drake? COuld it be he's just geting used to the new surroundings?

He's about a year old, I guess - been with us for five months. What Macl27 says is pretty much how he and the Saxony are - which suggests a breed characteristic. I do agree each duck has a unique personality - but the evidence would seem to suggest that within the breed there are behaviours that might be expected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:44 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Each and every breed is different, and each duck of the same breed will be slightly different.

Appleyards are a lot larger than saxony - hence they cam be slightly more lazy and laid back.

Rgerads

Honk