Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - New Online Poultry Auction site!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:43 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

It looks like a good thing to me.

As well as putting people who want chooks in touch with people who have them, it also lets the price be determined by the open market.

I'm in!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:12 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

BRILLIANT

I cant wait for it to start...as soon as I have some eggs to sell I will list them....

good for you to have the fortitude to do something.....!!!

Am sure we will all be making good use of it in the future

well done

Heidi

'Let us be judged not by how we fall, but by how we rise after falling'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:48 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

luv4ducks wrote:
Denis wrote:
:?: Australia's Number 1 Poultry Auction Site :?:
:roll: Wouldn't it be wise to wait until you have completed at least one sale before you come out with the grandiose statements. :roll:

It was more implying that it's the only site of it's kind in Australia, Whether it's the "best" I'll let the members decide
The site isn't quite ready just yet, it's official launch will be Friday,
I do hope to see you there :)

The way I see it you could promote yourself as "the only" or better still "the first" "the original" etc. I'd steer clear of anything that implies a ranking because technically you are still also the worst ....

You will see me there if
1. I can buy stuff cheaper than anywhere else,
2.if I can buy stuff I can't buy anywhere else
3.or if I can sell at higher prices.

I do wish you well but at this stage I will curb my enthusiasm until you have proven you can make it work.

We do get a lot of posts from people heralding their brand new poultry forums and they invite people to tell them how wonderful their sites are. Like you, they do get a lot of lovely "Nice Nancys" telling them how great the site is. These always sites sink without a trace which means of course you've got to wonder how sincere these Nancys were in the first place as they certainly don't give enough real support to keep the websites alive.

To your website. I have real good look at it, no obvious spelling mistakes that I can see. That is a huge bonus.
I don't have a problem with paying fees and yours are a pittance anyway. You haven't explained anywhere (that I could find in a good time spent looking ) how you will collecting those fees or enforcing payment etc.
One thing that concerns me is most people won't know you from a bar of soap. Describing yourself as just poultry enthusiasts isn't enough information for mine. I like to have at least a name and address before I do business with anyone in case they do the dirty on me.

I think we get a bit carried away, too generous and trusting just because people share a common interest. For me, the reality is the only person that has ever bounced a cheque on me was a poultry person and the last I heard of him he was to judge at a show. Are you connected with him? I don't expect you are but then again I don't know you.

One thing that I don't know the answer to, but you should. Is it legal to to charge an auction fee and not take any responsibilty? I don't think you expect to make a huge profit but are trying to provide a service of sorts, but you will get caught in the middle of someone ripping someone off at some stage. People are advertising chooks on the noticeboard
that aren't what the claim to be every day. Rose colored glasses could cost you dearly.

For now, I can advertise asking for best offer etc. in this forum with 6500 members ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:02 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Gee Denis, way to put a dampner on the idea. Didn't your mother ever tell you something about "if you dont have something nice to say"

Luv4ducks did not come on here and advertise the site as a way to cop criticsm constructive or otherwise. Merely to provide a link so those interested could have a look.

I understand your sceptisim of new ideas. Anything that involves money has the potential to go very wrong so it seems. But maybe the world would be a little bit of an easier place to navigate if there were a few more "nice nancies" about.

I look forward to perusing your web site when you do a better job! I love ya Denis, but geez mate! Cheer up! Its not all sunshine and lollypops but its not that bad either!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:33 am 
denis has some very realistic ideas and insights. i do not condem him. he has some very good ideas. by claiming you arr the top site sounds no where near as good as saying you are the first and perhaps later the original australian site.

once bitten twise shy. better to be a devils advocate somewhere as some need to be brought down to earth and not throw caution to the wind.

i feel it is a good idea in theory and i can see many jumping in. i shall sit and watch for now......i see too many fools and their supporters on here selling and buying. maybe they will move off here to this new site and get them out of our hair.

is there going to be a rating system of sellers and buyers like on ebay??? that would help heaps.

k

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:09 am 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Unfortunately unless people do jump in its not going to take off. Its not going to if nobody takes a chance and puts something on for auction. Even if it doesnt sell, the fees arent much, so your not losing out alot. But if you do have a successful transaction, it will be a boost for the site as word gets around. If selling, I would treat it the same as any other transaction, when you buy and sell eggs or birds. Until the money is in your account you dont part with the goods. If buying and its birds, you would arrange to pay on pickup. If eggs, well we all take our chances at kissing our money goodbye when buying posted eggs anyhow.

Brendon, maybe you could make a profile for yourself on your auction website, that shows you & your Envision Signs business' actual shopfront etc. and maybe your poultry website to help people gain some confidence in the new auction site?? Just a thought :)

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I know it means moot to anyone else, but I have met and also dealt with Brendon quite a few times and found him to be honest and trustworthy. :thumbs:
But I like your idea Wendy, it will help others.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:25 pm 

Thanks for the ideas, there will be a more detailed about us page coming up shortly, at the moment it is just a case of see how it goes, and hopefully it goes well.
There will be a feedback system just like ebay, and there will also be an approved seller function, which basically means that once a seller reaches 50 successful sales, and still have 100% feedback, they will become an approved seller which then entitles them to a further5% of all site fees including final value fee.
I understand your concerns Denis, I too would be a little careful, but like Duck Diva says, they just like ebay, the goods don't get sent until the money is in the bank, there will be a dispute resolution centre which will be there to provide a medium for the buyer and sellers to resolve there grievances, the sellers can face having there accounts suspended, for a period of 3mths, or in serious cases they can be removed and banned from the site, and the informatrion will be handed over to the police department in the sellers state for investigation. Basically there are alot of shifty people online, whether it be on Ebay, on my site or indeed even in the local paper selling non legitimate items.
We recommend paypal for all site fee payments, and advise buyers and sellers to use paypal aswell, as with them you atleast have some peace of mind about the transaction.
As for the having no responsibility for the transaction, that is standard practice in Australia, like on Ebay and even at your local flee market, the organiser just provided the venue, it's up to the buyer to ask all the questions that they need to make an educated decision before they bid, I know that there is bound to be a few tansactions gone wrong whether the site is new or well established just like on Ebay, but hopefully it will be to a minimum.
I'm also hoping to encourage registered business entities onto the site, to sell things like medications, incubator spare parts etc...
These transactions will be covered by Fair Trading Laws in Australia, so there is no risk there.
I do hope that this site will take of, and i hope that all transactions are successful and honest, but I think the reality is that whenever buying online, even from a reputable business there is an element of risk involved, but please if anyone can see something that could help keep it a safe and honest community, then please contact me to discuss further.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:10 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Not wanting to change the subject but my biggest problems have been with Paypal. They have refunded money to people just because they claimed an item hadnt been recieved :swords: . As I sent these items using prepaid satchels all I have is the proof that I bought prepaid satchels. That isnt proof enough. I have no control and it really bothers me. I will not use paypal. If that is the only form of payment I will not participate, sorry.Its a principal thing.Plus their fees are too high.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 pm 

Payapl is just one of the options available for payment, the site itself will use paypal and direct deposit for the payment of fees etc.
the seller will be able to accept paypal, money order, bank cheque, and direct deposit.
I too have had trouble in the past with paypal, and personally it's not my first choice, but I've set it up for people who use paypal with their credit cards, otherwise it would be direct deposit or money order.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:40 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Good-looking site. Professionally laid-out; good colours, easily navigated. Nice use of the software. I can find what I'm after quickly and in a logical way.

I'll be happy to give it a burl should I ever have something to sell but in the meantime, may I be a _teeny_ bit nitpicky? It's just that you're here and reading so might be able to make these little changes ... and I'm a librarian and technical writer and so proof-read on a professional basis :)

Firstly, apostrophes.

Plurals do not require an apostrophe. See how you haven't put an apostrophe in "books" or "incubators" or "auctions"? Apply exactly the same principle to ALL words, including ducks, chickens, turkeys, and areas.

Secondly, your vs. you're.

The perfect example exists in your "About us" section. Currently it reads:

"We want to see your hard work & strict breeding programs, acknowledged so if your a breeder"

This should read:

"We want to see your hard work & strict breeding programs acknowledged so if you're a breeder"

The first "your" is correct. The second one is standing for the phrase "you are", with the space and "a" removed; therefore, an apostrophe takes its place. Thus, "you're".

Oh, and you don't need a comma after "programs". If you wanted, it could go after "so" and then again after "breeder".

Um ... other than that, will watch with interest. (Am so new to breeding that I don't even know about selling chooks!!).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:55 pm 

infoaddict wrote:
Good-looking site. Professionally laid-out; good colours, easily navigated. Nice use of the software. I can find what I'm after quickly and in a logical way.

I'll be happy to give it a burl should I ever have something to sell but in the meantime, may I be a _teeny_ bit nitpicky? It's just that you're here and reading so might be able to make these little changes ... and I'm a librarian and technical writer and so proof-read on a professional basis :)

Firstly, apostrophes.

Plurals do not require an apostrophe. See how you haven't put an apostrophe in "books" or "incubators" or "auctions"? Apply exactly the same principle to ALL words, including ducks, chickens, turkeys, and areas.

Secondly, your vs. you're.

The perfect example exists in your "About us" section. Currently it reads:

"We want to see your hard work & strict breeding programs, acknowledged so if your a breeder"

This should read:

"We want to see your hard work & strict breeding programs acknowledged so if you're a breeder"

The first "your" is correct. The second one is standing for the phrase "you are", with the space and "a" removed; therefore, an apostrophe takes its place. Thus, "you're".

Oh, and you don't need a comma after "programs". If you wanted, it could go after "so" and then again after "breeder".

Um ... other than that, will watch with interest. (Am so new to breeding that I don't even know about selling chooks!!).

Fair enough, I never was that good at proper grammar so I'll take that advice and make the changes.
Thankyou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:10 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

On the whole, it's pretty good. If I'm nitpicking at that level, it means I haven't yet found anything on the macro level to try and change :) I hope I haven't offended!! (At least I've read practically everything on the site as a result ;) ).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:59 pm 

no offence taken, when you're up late most might creating about 3,000 files that make this site, I'm bound to have made a few spelling errors, thankfully most of them are probably somewhere in the code, where no one will see them
Thankyou for visiting my site, I appreciate all feedback, whether it be good or bad
cheers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:54 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

i think this is a good idea and once it is up and running we will support it hopefully the scammers using BYP for e-mail addresses will leave it alone but any-way good idea hope it
works and you will always have hagglers some just cant help themselves cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next