Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Qld Action Group for the Preservation of Pure Bred Poultry

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:32 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Quote:
Just cut and copy it as a pm to me via BYP or scan and add as an attachment to a PM

As far as I know it is not possible to attach files to PMs. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:52 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

So Sorry I forgot you are not able to attch file to PMs on BYP I am used to using the EPF forum where you can do it.

email me with your submissions
goldcard@netspace.net.au

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:16 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

For anyone who's interested in the current Queensland situation, here's a copy of our draft submission to the Moreton Bay Regional Council. It ran to 8 pages long. Perhaps it can help someone else who's looking for ideas. Some of it is specific to Moreton's draft laws, but not all. Feel free to use anything you can.

Attachment:

Last edited by Chicken07 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:10 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Last night I attended the meeting conducted by the North Pine Poultry Club and I thank the Members for their hospitality. I eventually got to meet your estemed moderator Chicken 07 and what a delightful chicken she is :biggrin: .

I was very pleased to see the clubs Paton Councillor Bob Miller attend the meeting and put forward his veiws on the ammended by-laws it is so great to have a councillor willing to give his time and spreak so openly. I found this interesting and I don't know if it is old age that is makeing me mellow or if it is just that Bob was a good saleperson for his point of veiw but I can sympathise with the diffficulties that legislators face on this and several other issues.

For us it is the single issue we deal with and is all important where legislators face a whole range of issues from thousands of single issue groups just like the poultry clubs that all have a legitimate cause that needs to be dealt with. Councils have made their existance difficult with the approval of ever decreasing lot sizes (Bob said there was one development approved for approx 200sqM lots) how do they expect nott to have this issue arrise.

I beleive that the only way we can acheive a favourable outcome is by concilliation and education. I beleive that clubs have to take a greater role in educating the comunity on the valuable role that we provide. We need to have our clubs attend farmers markets and car boot sales once a month (if there is more than one club in the community great share the market) but at the market we must not try to sell fowls but educate the public. have trios of fowl on display preferably quiet ones that the kids can pat have litriture that the public can take home. But just present the fancy for every one to see. We have hidden away for way too long as basically an underground hobby we need to stand tall we are every bit as acceptable as any other pure bred animal hobby. The Dog community owns its own show grounds here in Brisbane as I am sure they do in other states. Don you think they got that from hiding and trying not to be seen.

If the public see the clean healthy image that we put forward more people will want fowls and as more people get them resistence will go away. Today because we are a minority we are easy pickings. If we get stronger we will survive.

Maybe we could have clubs adopt a local school and donate some cages and some fowls then provide breeders to help the kids out on a regular basis. Several city schools have agricultural projects and actually show cattle and such even a couple schools showing fowls. Why not have the club do this you could create several new breeders from these young people.

I will end my ramblings now as I am sure you are all bored now.

If any other clubs would like to have me attend to discuss the Qld Action Group please feel free to contact me I am happy to attend any meetings I am able too as I need to collect as many ideas as possible to put together our submission

Thanks again Cathy so nice to actually meet you and your husband.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:49 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Not bored at all! That was very interesting and thank you for taking the time to type it all up and let everyone know.

I can see the benefits of joining a club would certainly make an enormous amount of information and support available to newies and experienced alike.

Do clubs ever advertise their existence in newspapers or other methods beside poultry mags? There would be so many people who have no idea of the on-line and 'physical' poultry clubs are out there. It could be an idea to get information sheets out to stockfeed places (who would be selling commercial layers in most cases to new chook owners), hatcheries who sell to the public and shows when people wander around and get drawn to idea of chook ownership. If new chook owners started out knowing about poultry clubs and how to get in contact with them, it might help them start them on the right foot and increase club membership.

The uneducated probably need to know the most about clubs so they can get help learning how to care for their chooks, and therefore give all poultry owners a better name, and they are probably the ones who would have no idea clubs even exist. I can't say personally I've ever seen a club advertise it's existence outside of poultry mags or online websites. Are there usual ways of advertising clubs existence or is it a word of mouth type setup?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:02 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Roova wrote:

Do clubs ever advertise their existence in newspapers or other methods beside poultry mags? There would be so many people who have no idea of the on-line and 'physical' poultry clubs are out there. If new chook owners started out knowing about poultry clubs and how to get in contact with them, it might help them start them on the right foot and increase club membership.

Thanks Roova. It just so happens that the other forum I am involved with have printed biro's to distribute with our name and logo on them. We have sent them to mods in each state to distribute. I am taking them around with me on my travels and handing them out.
I also printed some fliers that I have taken and put on info deskas at produce merchants and stuff.

So some of us are trying to get the word out. Ipswich club are quite active getting articles in local papers up here so it works a little. Big thing with local papers is that we need to give them an article fully written out that they can just cut and paste into their colums

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:32 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thanks for your help last night Geoff. It was much appreciated by us all.

Oh ... and thanks for the pen, too. It's terrific. I got a compass and just gouged out the no. 1 and changed it to a 2. Now it's perfect. :rofl: Just kidding. Your pens are a great idea. :thumbs: BTW, your website can be added to the other links we advertised in our newsletter such as the muscovy forum, this one, the forum who does not wish to be named on here, and SEQWA. The more people that find the information that they need on any forum, the better for poultry promotion.

I'm still thinking about the bus tour idea - I think it might have potential.

Last edited by Chicken07 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:25 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

As for Number 1 Status Cathy there is another forum giving me lip about that as well :biggrin: seems we are all biased

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:30 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

:rofl: That would not be surprising. The site who prefers not to be named has had that catchcry for a while.
We all have our own preferences and our own cheer squads. :thumbs:

Last edited by Chicken07 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:41 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Ok I only found them recently. But as with all forums it is full of people pushing their own barrow. I guess I am no better either. But I just tire of those who want to do constructive things for the fancy and are knocked by the profits of doom who want to sit back and do nothing.

The what good can I do mentality!!!

One only has to look at the changes that public opinion can do when you see recent events that happened in politics caused by a ground swell of public outcry. We had a change in both political leadership and a complete reversal of platform (Be that right or wrong I don't wish to go there)

We need to stand up now and be counted.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:56 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Forums are all the same - full of people of many different persuasions. :wink: It's easy to type something on the computer, but it's a lot harder to get out and about and try to improve things.

Hopefully we can achieve something positive with this current issue. First meeting at the other club today. I'll be interested to see how opinions differ. I think they will and it may be even better for purebreed poultry.

Last edited by Chicken07 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:58 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Good Luck with that one. With you Mr S and a couple others there it should be good meeting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:57 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Don't forget the Next General Meeting

02.04.2011 (Next Saturday) Toowoomba Showgrounds Poultry Pavilion 1.00pm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:53 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Geoff,

I’ve noticed that there has been no reports or activity concerning the Queensland Action Group for the Preservation of Pure Bred Poultry Inc. on this site since Sunday 27th March 2011, which is two years ago.
There has been little, or no recent activity, on QAGPPBP‘s website, which is http://www.qagppbp.yolasite.com

As you have clearly showed the link to the website in this open forum and shared the information of the QAGPPBP within that site, I have some pertinent questions that I would like answered, please.

Q1: What was the outcome of the meeting of 2nd April 2011 at Toowoomba Showgrounds?

Q2: Within the website you declare a balance of $703.27 made up of $106.45 in petty cash and $596.82, plus stock assets of Stamps (approx) 63, Paper (approx) 3 reams and Envelopes (approx) 400. What is the current monitory balance and the stock assets balance?

Q3: Why haven’t renewals of membership forms been sent to the current member clubs and individual members to renew their annual fees?

Q4: Why wasn’t an Annual General Meeting called for 2012?
If it was, why weren’t all of members informed? If it was, did the QAGPPBP submit a financial report to the Office of Fair Trading-Qld, as required by the Queensland Associations Incorporation Act -1981?

Q5: Why hasn’t an AGM been called for 2013?

Q6: Has your personal involvement with NAPIS taken up too much of your time to look after the members in your capacity of Secretary/Treasurer of QAGPPBP?

Yours truly,

Ross Summerell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:44 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I don't know where this group will end up.

The clubs in which I'm involved paid the $50 membership in 2011. It was for a 12 month membership. As no further renewals were paid, those two clubs are no longer members of the group. I can only assume that other clubs who paid the initial membership fee are similarly no longer members. My understanding is that the President of QAGPPBP has been very unwell and that the group has not been active at all. However, we have been told that the money is still in the bank account and I assume at some point those people still active on the committee may decide to do something about the status. At this point it's no business of the poultry clubs of which I'm a member, as we are not current QAGPPBP members.

The goals and ambitions of the group were admirable. They were disappointed with the degree of support they received and despite good intentions this one just didn't fly.