Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Practical Poultry Magazine

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:19 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Does anyone subscribe to this magazine? If you do, can you tell me how much it costs in Aus $ ?
I can convert their listed subscription price from pounds to $$ , but I've heard that there are extra costs involved for Australian subscriptions. I've sent them a query but haven't heard back.
Is it a good mag.? It sounds interesting, but I haven't actually seen a hard copy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:19 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Mariel, I'm having the July issue. A subscription for 12 issues to anywhere other than Europe costs £ 48.96. For 24 issues it is £ 97.92.

I like the magazine because they are having a different feature breed in every issue and I like that it's a colourful magazine with good pictures of breeds, some of them we haven't got here. But then, I get much more benefit out of the Australasian Poultry Magazine because it provides me with a lot extra information for our particular Australian climate as well as show dates etc. So, I like to buy the Practical Poultry magazine every now and then if there is something I really find interesting. I find that for the information I can get out of it it's just too expensive to subscribe.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:03 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Thanks Nostress, I thought it a bit expensive too, although there are 12 issues per year, compared to 6 from others. I subscribe to Australasian Poultry too, was just looking around to see if there was something else interesting as well.
I didn't know that there are individual copies sold in Aus., or do you order them online?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:58 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

some bigger newsagents stock them :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:20 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

caladenia wrote:
some bigger newsagents stock them :)

That's right. In my area even the smaller newsagents have them. I didn't find it when I was living in Melbourne, though. One of my news agencies stock another magazine from the US, as well. I haven't bought it, yet but I think it's this one: http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:18 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Mariel
I have subscribed to it directly from Kelsey Publishing Ltd, England. It's a great magazine.

Today I received the January 2011 Issue. Previously I bought it through the news agency, it was always 2 months behind. On top of that I paid six dollars more per issue.

I subscribed by sending by mail the subscription coupon that appears in the magazine, and paid by Visa Credit Card.
The offer was 12 Issues for the price of 11, at UK pounds 46.80 ROW (Rest of the World price)

Visa charged Aussi $ 86.64 plus Aussi $ 2.56 international fees, total $ 89.20 (depending on exchange rate of course)
Now, one issue costs me $ 7.45 instead of $ 13.50 (six dollars more !) which I paid the Newsagency for a number of month.

So it's well worth it ! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:39 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Thanks for the detail chiquita, exactly what I wanted. I may put it "out there" for any of my family entertaining the idea of Christmas gift giving :biggrin:
And thanks everyone else for your input, all appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:39 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

thanks for the maths chiquita, i have often wondered without doing the sums how much the o/s subscription price was, and whether it did indeed work out cheaper than the price paid at hte newsagent.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:01 am 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I used to just buy it from the newsagent near us but eventually gave up as their distributers were terrible about remembereing to send my copy down. I now order it direct from Kelsey. I never did the sums but it is nice to know it is cheaper that way. There was no other way of me actually being garunteed to GET a copyl

NellyG