Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - New Homes for Old Chooks - Portland, Oregon, USA

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 7:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:00 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/26/us/new-homes-beckon-for-city-chickens-in-retirement.html?src=me&ref=general

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:02 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

How do you find these items - by chance or do you go looking? I see that there is an offer of subscription to an email list so I suppose that you might have taken that up. Thanks for sharing this and other bits and pieces. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:24 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

cackles wrote:
How do you find these items - by chance or do you go looking? I see that there is an offer of subscription to an email list so I suppose that you might have taken that up. Thanks for sharing this and other bits and pieces. :D

I usually come across them quite by accident... when I spot something I'd like to look at / read, I then spot things to be easily sidetracked by... generally relating to animals of one sort or another.

This particular article I came across due to looking into an article that was written about the new Flybuys scheme & the competition between Wesfarmers & Woolworths Limited. That article referred to another interesting article about Target's data collection via many differing methods, and what they do with it, and the habits of humans which are able to be changed more easily at particular turning points in their lives, which happened to be on the same site as the story I've linked to on this thread. :thumbs:

When I find photos, it's more often than not that I've gone looking for visual pleasantries as I enjoy looking at good photos... and my favourite site for photos is one that I've forgotten the name of... bookmarked it on my last laptop, which is now deceased. It's one that has a panel of photographers that you submit your photo to, and they decide if it's sufficiently outstanding to be put on the site... maybe someone can remind me what it's called.

Other times, I'll search for an item, or animal, or topic... just out of interest, and that will lead me along an interesting journey, much like doing a join-the-dots picture, which ends up with me finding something completely unrelated which is of interest to me.

Then other times I login to "StumbleUpon" which gives a greater variety of random websites that I wouldn't otherwise locate. You tick which things you're interested in, and when you do one click it will throw up something it thinks you might like to see. The more you indicate whether you like or don't like things it's thrown up, the more 'intuitive' (for want of a more detailed analysis) it becomes for you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:59 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

:thanks:

Sometimes interesting info comes from the most unexpected places. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:19 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I found that photo site that I lost the bookmark to !!

1x.com

It has an amazing selection of photos of different styles & is a visual feast.