Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Poultry Books for 6-8 year old children

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:36 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

A good friend is keen to encourage her 7 year old daughters interest in keeping & raising chooks. She asked me if I knew of a good, age appropriate book for her daughter for Christmas. It got me thinking. I have never seen such a book.
I've had a quick look around (google) but so far no luck.
Would anyone has any recommendations?
I'd like one for my 7 year old son too.
His enthusiasm for looking after his 4 pullets needs rewarding :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:17 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Now that's what I call a great idea Fizzle. I don't personally know of any, but I'm sure that someone will turn up here who is able to give you a few pointers.

Let us know if you find one in the meantime though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:58 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

http://www.booktopia.com.au/young-chick ... 85555.html

Maybe this one?

Mkh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:09 am 
Wise One
Wise One

That looks like a good one MumKidsHens, specifically written for young children. I wonder if an equivalent one has been written by an Australian, for our conditions, but if not, then "Young Chicken Farmers" would surely suffice.

Chookyinoz has suggested Jackie French's Poultry book (Australian) is an easy read for a child, but not having had young children for a few hundred years, I'm not sure about that statement. Anyway it's worth looking at them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:35 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I think children of that age gain as much from the conversations that arise from entertaining picture books as they do from non-fiction texts.

One NF example that comes to mind that is suitable for a child as young as 6, would be 'Egg to Chicken' by Camilla de la Bedoyere.
http://www.amazon.com/Egg-Chicken-Life- ... 1926853377
The copy I've got is softcover, 24 pages long, and covers that basics of what a chicken is and its life cycle. I haven't read the story here, but I've flicked through the book so you can see the quality of the images, size of text etc. (ISBN 978-1-84835-924-6) If you could find a hard cover it would be a nicer gift. I only bought this one recently so I know this book is in print.

Other fiction books about chickens that are popular include the following. I'm not sure if they are all in print but you'd find most of them on ebay or amazon in some form. :

'Hector & Maggie' by Andrew & Janet McLean. Allen & Unwin. This is about the struggle for dominance in the farmyard between a rooster and the farm dog.

'Shutting the Chooks In' by Libby Gleeson & Anna James. This one is quite brief. It's just the story of a young boy who has the job of going out to the chook pen and locking up the chooks at night and it's a bit scary. Not my favourite, but ok.

'Mrs Wilkinson's Chooks' by Leone Peguero & Mike Spoor. This is the story of a lady in suburbia who has a bunch of chooks who get on the nerves of everybody including the cat. The pictures are lovely. Eventually she goes back to live in the country to everybody's relief.

My favourite - 'Whacko The Chook' by Mark Svendsen and Ben Redllich. The drawings in this are quirky and funny. It's the story of Whacko who goes looking for a friend but is then overwhelmed by the urge to lay an egg. She eventually lays an egg called 'Rodney'. Not specifically about chook facts but great entertainment.

I'll put up some video of the later fiction books later to give you an idea of what they look like.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:26 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thankyou all for your thoughts and suggestions. I'll certainly pass them along and add a couple to the Xmas shopping list.
One book has also led me to another that I thought I'd share. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Chickens-Gui ... pd_sim_b_1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:54 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Nice one. I think I'm going to have to buy it.