Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Six Chickens Please - a book by Elizabeth Coleman

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:26 am 
Wise One
Wise One

The title of this autobiographical book piqued my curiosity, and after reading the jacket description, I popped it into my trolley at the local library and looked forward to getting stuck into it during this cold wintry weather we've been having. A book about chooks, a cosy lounge chair and a large mug of tea. Sheer bliss.

The write-up says:
This book continues the story of the author's life, following The Tangled Garden and Hotwater, Please.

In 1932, Elizabeth, widowed with three children, married widower Fred Coleman, who had one daughter. Together they rent a small house, and to help feed the family, Elizabeth bought six chickens. Later they are able to move to a bigger house, where Elizabeth gives birth to two more children - and buys more chickens! A super story of a family living on very little but love and hard work.

Now I must say that I very nearly gave up on this book after the first page, because I found the writing style a tad annoying, grumbling to myself about an editor who hasn't done his/her work properly. But I picked it up again and continued, and I'm pleased that I did. It's a book written in a gentle style about hard work and living within ones means.

It doesn't just feature chickens - they are primarily Rhode Island Reds to be exact, plus Black Leghorns, Waindottes (Wyandottes?), Khaki Campbell ducks, and geese. All are used not only for egg production, but also for sale dressed and "in feather" as Elizabeth calls it.

Would I recommend it as a good read? Yes. I did end up enjoying this book. Make sure you read the Conclusion right at the end, written by Elizabeth Coleman's daughter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:32 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Thanks, Helen. :-)