Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Attack of the giant robot chickens - a book by Alex McCall

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:03 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Well folks, this week we have one for the kids, but after having a glance through it.... well, I can visualise that some of us more mature kids could get caught up in it too. The concept of chooks getting their own back at the world is rather intriguing.

The blurb on the back cover reads:

Why did the chicken cross the road?
To take over the world!!

Giant robot chickens are terrorising the city of Aberdeen. Their aim: to peck out all signs of human resistance.

The streets are empty, the adults have vanished and those left behind must hide from the powerful poultry or get scrambled!

Jess and his friends hatch a plot to stop the fowl fiends and take back their city... but when a gang of kids take on an army of angry robot chickens, things don't eggs-actly go to plan.

Life in a chicken apocalypse isn't all it's cracked up to be!

An except from the book:

I was about to say something else when the ground began to shake. "Get ready." Rayna called. She picked up her end of the rope. "Give me a hand with this."

I grabbed it just as Billy came haring around the corner, the chicken not far behind him. He was running flat out. I don't think I've ever seen anyone run faster. But the chicken was gaining.

Billy flashed across the rope, his arms raised like it was the finishing line.

"Pull roared Rayna. She heaved the rope up and wrapped it around the post a few more times, the group on the other side doing the same. We all pulled it taut just as the chicken reached it. I think it saw the rope a second before it hit it because it began to slow down. It didn't make any difference though. The chicken smashed into the rope...

...and kept on going.

My verdict. A good read.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:39 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Is that the kid's version of Alexander McCall Smith, who does the lovely Ladies' Detective Agency? It's BOUND to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek then.

Shall go hunt down immediately and provide to ALL the nieces and nephews ...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:24 am 

Surreal! Of course at our house we have always known the answer to why the chicken crossed the road...because it wanted to be a robot, of course!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:36 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Hi infoaddict. That's exactly what I thought at first too, but no... Alex McCall is apparently the youngest published author in Scotland. If he can keep writing books like this, he'll be a very wealthy young man in no time at all. This is real encouragement of the young aspiring writers in our midst. If Alex McCall can do it, then so can others.

:biggrin: Yes The Home Flock. We all have our versions.