Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - BIG Chickens - a book by Leslie Helakoski - for children

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:32 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

BIG Chickens
By Leslie Helakoski, illustrated by Henry Cole
ISBN 0-525-47575-3

This is a really lovely chicken story book for the Littlies, with an underlying message about overcoming or coping with fears.

I'm a sucker for book art, and this one certainly captivated me! Delightful illustrations of chickens in all sorts of bother, supporting a story that is sure to please the young amongst us.

I went looking for reviews on the internet (just in case my sense of humor and judgement are a bit out of whack with the norm), and found these - I think they sum it up nicely:

Susan
Very cute book. The author uses catchy phrases as she tells the story of 4 chickens who learned they were very big chickens indeed! The chickens flee the henhouse when they see a wolf. The book follows their adventures as they stumble into one mess after another (each mess caused by their own fear). In the end, they conquer their fears and become big chickens! My kids in story time love this book.

Lorna
An absolute read aloud favorite at our house. The excitable chickens are great fun to give voice to as they get themselves into and out of a whole host of predicaments.

Karla
The chickens in this book are "big chickens" who run away to hide when the wolf comes calling...along the way, they find lots of things to be scared of until they realize they are BIG chickens and don't have to be scared! Great book for calming fears.

Romelle
BIG CHICKENS is simply fun and silly. This story, about four lovable chickens acting like "big chickens," is full of repetition, assonance, consonance, action words, and word play. The bright, bold illustrations also contribute to the fun. It is a great read-aloud book that I am sure kids will enjoy over again.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1391529.Big_Chickens

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:06 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thanks Helen. I can see a few good reasons that I should buy this one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:24 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Great. Let us know of any feedback if you do get it C07.