Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Peppermint improves egg production

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 6:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:02 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Interesting study though sad they say "in the late laying period" of 67 weeks old...

http://www.worldpoultry.net/Layers/Nutrition/2014/11/Study-Effects-of-peppermint-in-hens-diets-1643104W/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:08 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hmm, that's interesting, although it makes me wonder if it is due to any greens being included in their diet.
If they consider 67 weeks old to be 'late in the laying period' then you could imagine they might be factory
farmed type laying hens.
I wonder if they studied any other plants also for their effects on laying.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:22 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I understood that poultry, like other species which develop from eggs are born with a finite number and when the limit of these approaches and hormones change, henopause occurs. The peppermint theory would have some positive implications for endangered species breeding programs if it reeely works

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:58 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

sue55 wrote:
I understood that poultry, like other species which develop from eggs are born with a finite number and when the limit of these approaches and hormones change, henopause occurs. The peppermint theory would have some positive implications for endangered species breeding programs if it reeely works

The effect, as I read it, is in relation to having commercial layers be more productive & therefore financially viable before their use-by date. It's not going to make the finite number of eggs change, just have them producing more & "better" eggs before their commercial lives are at an end.

I wouldn't specially feed something to my flock that may shorten their egg-laying lifespan (as you say, there's a finite number of eggs to be had... my understanding, like yours, is that this applies to any animal or bird with ovaries), but then I don't have a use-by date for my hens for that purpose. I would happily plant a peppermint plant & have them pick at it as they chose to, however... and do plan to have a herb garden especially for them to pick at as they wish (plan that's been in my head for more than 5 years now... one day !).

If I were breeding, particularly a rare chook breed, then producing as many good quality eggs whilst the hens are younger may be valuable. As you say, it may be valuable for endangered species breeding programs, too... if it works on species other than Gallus gallus domesticus.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:46 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Wonder if the egg flavour is tainted by peppermint?