Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Qld Poultry Farmers Co-op - Red Comb House

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:45 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I understand that this building is no longer standing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:53 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Just checking through, as yet unanswered posts. :-)

Some Googling threw up some newspaper ads but I didn't go into them further or take up the prompt to save for ancestry research. :-P

I did find a bit of history and the link has some art images:
http://remix.org.au/aris-redcombhouse/

Quote:
... WHAT

Produce Art Collective formed in March and April 1982 inspired by the Produce Art group exhibition 10-24 March, 1982 an exhibition of 16 artists curated by artist Jeanelle Hurst.

Red Comb House was a short term artist-run in the old produce stores located in Roma Street. This artist-run was one of many spaces earmarked for demolition and available only for short-term rentals in the inner city 4000 postcode during the 1980’s.

HOW

Red Comb House initiated by Jeanelle Hurst. Artists paid monthly studio rent. ...

Do you have an interest in poultry-related history, Baringo? I don't know what is at the address now. Is it where the Roma St Parklands were created? Someone with a keen interest in Brisbane history may know.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:18 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

I vaguely recall that Red Comb house was on the other side of Roma St from where the parklands are now, which were formerly the fruit and veg markets.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:44 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Andrew is correct on the Redcomb site As a Legbar breeder he would interested to know Redcomb had a facility in the Zillmere area where laying trials were carried out for years over many long periods [6 months or more I have been told - maybe 12 ] ,breeders - mostly professional Hatcheries entered teams of hens about 12 or more I think ,egg aggregate - quality, hens deaths were totaled up, fed on Redcomb - naturally.
These trials were often won by Mr Eddie Pocock's Gold Legbars that he bred .
He also bred Champion White runner ducks, I had some of his Legbars years ago,but alas they are no more.Winning the laying trials was a big feat in my opinion as he was a backyard breeder! He had a pretty big yard tho'.
My information came from Mrs Jean Lindsay of Caboolture - her husband Jack owned a hatchery next to Sheepstation Creek in Morayfield Road , they were friends of ours, unfortunately both have passed away ,Jean in recent months Jack entered hens at Zillmere.too.