Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Online Show Award Winners August 2013 - Announcement

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:12 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Judges Comments

Thanks to BYP and the exhibitors for the opportunity to give my opinions on your birds. Also a big thankyou to the Show Manager and "virtual stewards" for all of the work behind the scenes. A good line up of birds and I believe that all of the winners were good examples of their breeds.

I found the online show to be an interesting experience and so many times I wanted to use my virtual judging stick to move a bird to a different stance. That happens in a show in a pavilion too, where they just wont stand in the way you want. Of course adjudicating on birds without handling them is tricky but nobody else but the owner has the chance to handle them in this format too, so please remember that if you plan to take these birds on to a club show.

In the final wash up my choice was between the White Leghorn, Pit Game and White Wyandotte, if I had been in a pavilion you would have seen me pacing between these cages, well I was flicking between windows on my desktop, but the Leghorn got the nod in the end. In the Junior birds I chose two Pekin females for the best and reserve, nice birds and I encourage the owner to stick with them and get along to club and learn the art of showing from one of the experienced breeders.

There were a couple of birds that did not "get up the front" that I wanted to comment on. In the large heavy breeds a nice Light Sussex male that was not standing for the camera but seemed to be a very nice bird that I would have liked the chance to handle and in the heavy bantams some nice Crele Wyandottes - good to see them in the show.

Thanks again for chance to look at your birds and I am happy to have a chat with any of you about your birds.

Kevin Smith (blackleghorn here on BYP)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:37 am 
BYP Bot

* Best Bird in Show - White Leghorn Standard Female - Lawton Park
* Best Large Hard Feather - Black Red OEG Male - Lawton Park
* Res Large Hard Feather - Indian Game Female - Lawton Park
* Best Large Soft Feather Light - White Leghorn Standard Female - Lawton Park
* Res Large Soft Feather Light - White Leghorn Standard Female - Lawton Park
* Best Large Soft Feather Heavy - Rhode Island Red Female - arliespoultry.com
* Res Large Soft Feather Heavy - Silver Laced Wyandotte Female - Tooheys2
* Best Hard Feather Bantam - Blue Pit Game Male - Lawton Park
* Res Hard Feather Bantam - Grey OEG Male - Lawton Park
* Best Soft Feather Bantam Light - White Leghorn Male - Lawton Park
* Res Soft Feather Bantam Light - White Leghorn Female - Lawton Park
* Best Soft Feather Bantam Heavy - White Wyandotte Female - Lawton Park
* Res Soft Feather Bantam Heavy - Australian Langshan Female - Lawton Park
* Best Junior - Furnace Pekin Female -sammysam98
* Res Junior - Brown Red Pekin Female - sammysam98
* Best of Breed Pekin - White Female - smallflock
* Best of Breed Wyandotte - White Bantam Female - Lawton Park

To view individual results and judges comments, go to relevant topic via index here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8025208

Congratulations to all exhibitors and to award winner.

Lawton Park has done extremely well and won an annual subscription to Australasian Poultry. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:57 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Congratulations to all entrants... and WELL DONE to the winners !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:00 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Congratulations all who entered this competition. Well done those whose birds did well. :-) Thank you very much Kevin for your judging of this comp and your thoughtful judge's comments.

We've read the judge's impressions and we'd also like to get some feedback please from competitors to help decide the fate of possible future online shows.

How did you find the experience?

What was difficult or easy?

Would you participate if we had another one?

Would you advise others to enter as a way of getting feedback on your birds?

Constructive suggestions welcome. What could we change or streamline to make the process easier for the online exhibitors? One thing we would consider, which would help in recording entries our end, instead of having to sort many emails whose subject was simply "online show entry" was the possibility of using a more formal application form along the lines shown here:

Backyard Poultry Online Show Entries

It would be great to get some comments from the 11entrants while the outcome is still fresh. :-D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:52 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Thanks for taking the time to Judge the Online Show Blackleghorn. I know what is involved in judging an Online Poultry Show and its a very time consuming job :th

Thank you to Chicken07 and the other members of the BYP Online Show. Resizing, uploading photos and posting them in each category is a mammoth task :peece :th

I was held an Online Show on my own forum which had for memory 54 entries, that was a massive task believe me.

I would like to see these Online Shows continue in to the future, its a great way to get feedback on your birds from experienced judges.

Not everyone can attend a show so this is the only way they can get feedback on their birds. It is also a good way for beginners to learn the good points from the bad points about their birds.

If these Online Shows don't continue it will be a big loss to the learners in my eyes, comments may be a bit biased as it was me that came up with the idea of an Online Poultry Show on BYP many years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:31 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Congratulations to all winners, well done. :woot:

Thank you to Mr Kevin Smith for finding the time to judge and thank you to the BYP team for putting this on, I hope there are more on-line shows in the future it makes it much easier for me as I live a long way from most towns.

This was my first ever show, I am very proud of my RIR girls and I found the experience very easy once I got the sending of my photos done, I would participate if BYP was to hold another one.
I would advise others to have a go, I have posted my little win on my face book page 'Pure Poultry Passion & Life in the Bush', and also blogged about it on my website page http://www.arliespoultry.com with a link to Backyardpoultry site that takes you strait to the best bird in show post, well done Lawton Park. :congrats

I must enter some of my waterfowl next time :duck3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:09 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Congratulations to all of the entries!
Thankyou Blackleghorn for judging and putting in the effort to give each entry a detailed comment :thumbs:

I definitely would like to see more of these in the future as I will be entering again. :biggrin:
It is great that people can get feedback without taking their birds out of their pens. In saying that the show has given me confidence to have a go at showing properly next year.
I would like to see first, second, third place awards in each individual breed when they have a few entries. I know that the traffic lights can define quality but if everyone has the same traffic light it is a little hard to see what trait is preffered ect...
Still no complaints from this show but maybe just something to think about? :-)

Lastly a big THANKYOU to everyone involved in the show :thumbs:

So.......Whens the next one lol :bg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:51 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you Kevin for judging, and for your comments.

It was my first ever online show (my first of any kind of poultry show to be honest) - I found it very easy to enter, and will definitely do it again.

I found entering very easy, and I'd encourage anyone to give it a go next time.

About the only thing I could offer as feedback, would be perhaps an email back to an entrant saying 'Entry Received' or something like that if time permits next time.

Thanks to everyone involved!

Andy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:15 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thank you for the feedback. This was certainly a successful show and it's great to hear that people have had positive experiences.

A big focus for everybody concerned this time was to have the results back as quickly as possible for exhibitors and I hope we achieved that, largely thanks to Kevin's efforts despite a heavy workload.

As some will be aware, Online Shows have been under review on here and we ran this one without a Show Manager, under some time constraints and with a mail server that was offline at the crucial time. Apologies to any who didn't receive a confirmation email.

Please continue to add any comments or constructive suggestions and we will review the situation and decide where we go from here.

Thank you all for entering. It's a pleasure for us all to see the photographs of your fowls. :th

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:59 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I would like to offer some feedback, although I have never yet entered an online show (I've really, really wanted to enter this one & the last one)... I would VERY MUCH like to, and the following may assist me greatly to achieve that goal:

- A "Minimum Preparation for Online Exhibition" thread, similar to the ones about preparing birds for exhibition showing... perhaps with just some dot points to cover the basics of things for bird preparation as well as photography preparation.
I know that all these details are in the Exhibition part of BYP... for some people (read: ME) that's all quite daunting having never prepped a bird & not trained any to stand for exhibition, let alone knowing the best way to show off a wing, for example.

- A looser date for photos to have been taken... perhaps taken any time since the last online show cutoff date? This way, when it's fresh in my head that I've just missed out, I could take the photos required & enter them in the next show as soon as I see that it's open.

- If anyone was so kind as to offer up some of their time to show newbies how to best show their birds for these shows I would DEFINITELY love to take them a bottle of vino if they'd let me pop by & find out a few tips ! Or if they have non-egglaying breeds, I could offer up some fresh eggs ! :rofl:

Apologies in advance if the first suggestion, in particular, is mute due to such a thing already existing somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:00 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Andy_B, Chookboyandchookgirland and arliev all of your birds were worthy entrants and I encourage you to take the next step and enter them in a "live" show. You could be very surprised. I would have welcomed the chance to handle all of these fowl and to get a good look at their size, it can e hard to judge size in a picture. You all have a great start to go on with.

LawtonPark - thanks for your kind words, it ended up being a good day out for your team.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:35 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Blackleghorn, I feel a bit guilty as the other exhibitors have never shown before where I have been showing for a number of years now.

Maybe there needs to be a novice section, but this will noyl create more work for admin and it would also be hard to tell who are the novices from the pros.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:08 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Don't feel guilty - I was just greatful for the experience and feedback. Congrats!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:16 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Congratulations Lawton park a very good display of your bird its the same at a show the people new to it against the experienced no need to feel guilty. Well done to everyone else who entered.
Thanks Blackleghorn for a great job of Judging. We are looking foward to another online show I think they are very usefull and well worthwile.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:50 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

A novice section is a great idea and one that has been successful at some poultry shows