Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sound proof rooster box questions

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:20 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Sorry, i'm sure this has been answered a thousand times but I can't find it -

What would be good dimensions for a sound proof box for one silkie rooster? In particular how high should it be? High enough for him to stand and stretch his neck, stand but not stretch neck, or only sit down..?

Also, I don't have any tools to make one, so what would be a good thing to make one out of? Must be light/small enough for me to pick up - he will be going in my spare room closet I think, very dark.

:? :roll: :cry: :x :shock:

Thanks

...and a gentle bullmastiff 'Otis'

Registered animal foster carer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:07 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Alli

Repost your post in the section called "other poultry talk". It will be seen by more people. Plenty of people use them but I dont have to so I have never made one.

Many have made them out of plywood with a hinged lid and insulated it with polystyrene on the outside. Outside because the chooks eat the polystyrene if it was on the inside and its not good for them.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:26 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

if he is going inside, then might i suggest a cardboard box with some wood shavings in the bottom?

You can change it as frequently as you want. The main criteria is no light.... the low roof theory has never stopped any of my roosters. One of my roos is really funny, he crows whilst i carry him to his pen in the morning. Little bugger, nothing stops him.

Nick

Hen houses $355. Whole packages available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:21 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi,

I'm currently using an esky. Its insulated and easy to carry. I have to keep the lid open a bit for air but i'm currently looking for an older one that has the drainage hole in the bottom so that I can use that for an airway.

It seems to be working well so far but will have to see what happens when summer comes. The poor thing might cook in the heat. I guess I can always put a freezer block in there with him to keep him cool.

I'm not much good with building things myself so like you had to look for alternatives. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:00 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks for replies.

I had a very large esky that I was just about to throw out so I tried it last night and tonight with wood shaving on the bottom and HEAPS of airholes in the lid.

Seems to be working. I took the boy out of his night house when they all had settled in for the night, brought him in and put him in the box in the dark closet straight away. Not a peep while doing it. Seemed quite disorientated in the morning when I took him back outside though.. kept making soft pitiful noises. Soon found his voice though and made up for not crowing early for the rest of the day!

Cheers, Alli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:55 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Alli,

Glad it worked. Oscar makes noises almost like he's talking to me first thing in the morning when I take him out. He has settled into the routine of being taken out of the roost at night very quickly and it doesn't seem to worry him.

Good luck!

Naomi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:31 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

The esky idea sounds realy good. They can be purchased reasonably cheap, have an easy to clean plastic lining, are lightweight & have a carry handle.
I was thinking about building a box out of plywood & putting a small fan in the side of it to ventilate it with fresh air. It gets pretty humid up here in Cairns & I think that might be detrimental to the health of my rooster in a stuffy box.
At the moment he goes in a cardboard box in the laundry. He is a pekin & has only just started crowing.
I am no animal psychologist, but he does not apear to be distressed by the experience & doesn't strugle when puting him in taking him out.
But the esky sounds like it is the go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:17 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Mine was very content in his esky. It was 56cm long, 31cm tall, 31cm wide, had holes in top & sides and had sawdust on bottom. :D

When I opened it in the morning on hotter spring days it seemed quite warm and stuffy though, didn't get to try it in summer. So for summer, particularily in Cairns, I would say try the fan idea.

My guy is gone now to a nice big home on a farm - neighbours weren't satisfied with no crowing in early morning - wanted no crowing ever! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:40 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

My guy is still going into his esky at night just a bit later now due to daylight savings. I leave the lid open about an inch to allow air in and just throw a towel over the opening to keep the light out.

So far so good. He doesn't mind going in at night and as you would expect is quite happy to be released the next morning. No sure how it will work in the summer months but I suspect being kept in any sort of small box will be quite hot and stuffy. Am thinking of putting a cool pack in with him to keep the temp down but will have to wait and see how it goes.

I couldn't make a box so this is the next best thing at this stage I think.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:11 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

My solution to my Araucana's early morning crowing was to lift him from his perch in the chook yard while he was quietly roosting in the evening and place him in an empty compost bin (with lid on to keep out the dawn light). Plenty of space and air, straight on the dirt and no complaints from rooster or neighbours. Lift the bin at a civilised hour and he can crow away to heart's content.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:14 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Wouldn't it be great if someone could devise a hoody or something. A slender back panel with a loop to fit over each wing, and falcon hood type thing. This could prevent the bird lifting his nect to crow :idea:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Things like that have been tried many times. It simply doesn't stop the rooster crowing. People have put elastic bands over their beaks, shoved them in cramped cages too low for them to stretch etc etc and they still crow.

The only way is to night box them comfortably so that if they do crow the sound is muffled.

Mike