Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - testing testing...1...2...3

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:16 pm 
i have been trying out flickR. just put up some macro photos there. i had a lovely time till it started to rain.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54516384@N02/?saved=1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:48 pm 
i will show you my best photo today, the others are on that flickR site. the reason why i think it is the best is because when i took the photo i did not realize that thing above the moth was its cacoon. the mouth is minute and when i looked at the photos i could see what the little smudge above it was.

frustratingly when you have one lens on you cannot run and change the lens. a male bird wing butterfly was hanging around some flowers today for ages and he would have made some spectacuar shots but i do have a few of them and i was on a macro hunt. practising for THE BIG one or should i say THE LITTLE one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:19 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

awesome photos.....you have an eye for the beautiful! i love the view from the bedroom, just gorgeous!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:45 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Fantastic photos Ruff, you should post some of them on RedBubble! (like the green fly, spider, moth one - and especially the tree with the light behind it!)

I love my 450D but I don't have a macro lens (yet!)

~ Bami (you can see some of my RedBubble work http://www.redbubble.com/people/bami/portfolio/art there)

Barnevelders, Aracanas, Coronation Sussex... and soon ducks... again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:56 pm 
bami where do you stop putting stuff on different sites? there are just so many!

where did you get a photo of an iguana? and i like your old vee dub photo too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:07 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hahaha very true Ruff.

I like RedBubble though, because you can sell your artwork on there. It's a nice little pocket money earner, also it's flattering to know someone has your artwork displayed somewhere!

I mostly sell tshirts though.

The iguana was taken in Fiji on my recent visit there, at an Eco park.

My hubby and brother in law are vw crazy, hence the large vw influence in my tshirts and some artwork.

Barnevelders, Aracanas, Coronation Sussex... and soon ducks... again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:27 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Ruff, I'm not sure if you check out many photography sites but there's one called Picture Correct which sends out regular emails full of hints and tips and techniques if you sign up for it.

Today's email was on night photography so I thought I'd post a link to the website if you want to have a look? Its fantastic!

http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/nigh ... echniques/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:09 am 
thanks roova i will look into that. i have been very busy working on learning to use the camera. will add some photos soon but they can be seen on the 2 sites i mention above.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:19 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Wow Ruff, you don't muck around when you're teaching yourself something! There isn't a single photograph there I wouldn't be proud of taking. The cricket eye and the car in the raindrop are just fantastic! I can't wait to see your next photos....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:09 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Thanks Roova for that Picture Correct link! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:16 am 
like all addictions one cannot help ones self. i must play with the wide angle lens to learn about it for chook showsbut the macro lens just has me sucked in.

the car in the raindrops was yesterday, i was playing with aperture and timing and went out after a storm and got sucked in with raindrops and getting reflections in them. this one was taken on the rearvision mirror on mr ruffs motorbike:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:25 am 
i am working hard on making my photos look attractive and informitive. i hope the art factor does not get in the way of the informitivness:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:15 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Some rippers in there ruff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:50 pm 
well i have been working on my photographic skills with the different lenses:

and these all become ho hum to what i got today!!! my chooks were looking up into the large fig (rubber) tree and i was struggling to see what they could see.i was looking for a snake to be honest. i then spotted a bird i had never seen before but knew existed in the area....a wompoo pigeon!!!

the only reason i was at the house was because the landlord had given me the shits by driving up and down the driveway at unhealthy speed and through the middle of the yard and only for the grace of god had a lavender partridge pekin hen manage flutter from under his truck to safety. so i was not happy and mr ruff was working down in the landlords shed fixing our rideon mower. i was tempted to take him a beer but was too angry and thought it best not to meet up with the landlord but count the months down to christmas when i plan to be anywhere but here.

anyhow i saw this bird. well i raced to the house, lucky the telephoto lens was on tha camera and it was all on the tripod (aimed at the bird bath). i grabed it all, got tangled in the gate with the tripod going down the stairs, swearing i untangled it and started to practise my calming exercises while i put into practise skills i had been practising on the brown pigeons over the last few days. i know i did not have enough time to play with the manual functions and luckily checked my settings to see, they were all out anyhow and the first 3 photos were way over exposed. i settled down and got 3 lovely photos one of which is this:

i am in 7th heaven. it is like a drug, what do i need to get my next big hit?? i will tell you.....for days there has been a flock of small pigeons in the landlords garden that are very rare, small and colourful. i have not been able to see them properly but have been struggling to get a photo of them. i think they are rose-crowned fruit-dove.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:06 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

What a beautiful bird! I had no idea something like that even existed!! Ruff your photos are such a pleasure to see, each one is more interesting than the last!

I found this about them: The birds feed off fruit-bearing trees in rainforests such as figs. They also occasionally eat insects. They can eat large fruits whole and are able to acrobatically collect fruit of trees and vines. They do not like to travel long distances, preferring to stay in their local area and make use of whatever fruit are in season. The diet of this species was extensively studied in the Port Moresby area by Frith et al. (1976). Despite their small size, they are able to swallow fruits of 5 cm³ volume, which would translate into a diameter of about 2 cm in spherical fruit.

I also googled the sound they make. Wow.. it barely sounds like a bird!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next