Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - testing testing...1...2...3

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:38 pm 
thakyou roova for the info. i don't suppose you can put up the direct link to the sound the bird makes...all i can find is one link linking to another and never getting anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:30 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Ruff,

Well done.! :D

Try this link:

Wompoo call

The next link has other pigeon & dove sounds as well so your brown pigeon can also be heard:

http://www.junglewalk.com/sound/Pigeon-sounds.htm :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:47 pm 
look what i got tonight:

i need to still improve my skills. perhaps talking to my optomatrist will help

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:59 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

That is just beautiful - well done! I'd love to hear what setting's ended up working well for you?

Thats a real achievement being able to take a photo of such quality at night..not an easy thing to do. It emits quite a bit of light doesn't it!

You seem to have the most amazing flora and fauna in your area - or you have good eyes?. Maybe your optometrist will tell you have nothing to worry about :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:46 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

ruff wrote:
look what i got tonight:

You are amazing Ruff!

This is just wonderous. Thankyou for sharing, some people would never get the opportunity to even know about such things without you!

xxx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:22 pm 
roova this particular photo was taken inside after i had been out taking others in the bamboo. i snapped off the rotten bit of bamboo it was growing in and took it to show mr ruff. i then decided to photograph it inside. the only light in the house was the computer glowing feintly in the other room. none of my photos seemed really crisp and i did not know if it was me or my settings. so mr ruff had a go at adjusting the focus (on manual as auto does not work in the dark), i controlled everything else and just set the camera off after mr ruff adjusted the focus to how he saw the fungus through the lens....and it was perfect.

to see the fungus you must turn off the torch and wait till your eyes adjust to the darkness. last night was perfectly dark, you could not see your hand in front of your face, so even the rotting bamboo had feint patches of glow in parts where the fungi were growing. the little toadstools have a stronger glow and they look fuzzy.
the settings were:

ISO: 500
timing: 30"
aperture: 2.8

i was using the canon EOS60D with EF 100mm macro lens.

the black dot on the fungus is a bit of dirt on the lens :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:00 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Thanks for the info Ruff. :D

Talking about the spot from your lens reminded me of camera club the other night. They had a lady showing everyone different skills in photoshop. At one point she was showing on a big screen how she views each small segment of a photo(which she's going to submit to a competition) and she bit by bit removes any blemishes or things she doesn't like. It was incredible (and not always in a good way). Small dots like dirt from the lens were removed, road signs in the background, rocks which didn't 'fit' in the picture, colours deepened or lighted - it went on and on. Pretty much no professional photo you see hasn't been touched up in some way. Sometimes when you see the original and compare it to the 'better' version you almost can't recognise it!

It makes it hard if you compare you own photo to ones you see on the internet or in books and mags, but unless you're touching up your own photos it will never be a fair comparison. Its crazy!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:16 pm 
mr ruff says he will get photoshop for me....i almost feel it will be like cheating but the curiosity is getting to me.

i am so scared of cleaning my lens....that is one good thing about your camera club as they can show you how to do it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:57 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

This is a link to an article on cleaning your lens - hope it helps!
http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/the- ... al-camera/

If you subscribe they have a regular email they send out which is full of hints and tips. Lots of good advice and different ways of looking at things - although a lot of it goes over my head.

Edited to add, I just remembered another tip. When changing your lens don't forget to keep the camera body angled downward to avoid any floating dust/sand etc landing on either the lens or the ring mount area.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:37 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

ruff wrote:
mr ruff says he will get photoshop for me....i almost feel it will be like cheating but the curiosity is getting to me.

Hi Ruff

5 mins in photoshop and the black spot is gone!

Lots of photographers use photoshop to enhance their images. I really recommend it. Sometimes you may have the perfect subject to photograph but not perfect conditions, so why not take advantage of photoshop! Also, it can help in learning better techniques, e.g. if you are playing in photoshop you might realise that a photo would have been better with different exposure etc. It is a great learning tool as well as an editing tool.

I have Photoshop CS4 and I love it, there are also great tutorials on the web.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:49 pm 
today ended up a lovely sunny day and i passed various insects and spiders in the trees and could not resist practising my new found knowledge that my eyes are crap and used the cameras auto focus. well i got more good photos than rejects today:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:51 pm 
ok sammyJ, i think i will accept the offer from mr ruff of photoshop for my birthday..... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:02 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Incredible colours on that spiders head! WOW!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:33 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I found this photoshop tutorial that I thought you might like Ruff... the tutor is editing a bird, very fitting for this forum!

http://www.peachpit.com/podcasts/episod ... C5CC8520B4

Cheers!
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:03 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Roova wrote:
They had a lady showing everyone different skills in photoshop. At one point she was showing on a big screen how she views each small segment of a photo(which she's going to submit to a competition) and she bit by bit removes any blemishes or things she doesn't like. It was incredible (and not always in a good way). Small dots like dirt from the lens were removed, road signs in the background, rocks which didn't 'fit' in the picture, colours deepened or lighted - it went on and on. Pretty much no professional photo you see hasn't been touched up in some way. Sometimes when you see the original and compare it to the 'better' version you almost can't recognise it!

It makes it hard if you compare you own photo to ones you see on the internet or in books and mags, but unless you're touching up your own photos it will never be a fair comparison. Its crazy!

Apart from cloning bits in or out of a photograph and sharpening which all digital images need, photoshop to enhance photos is not something 'new' - photographers have been using darkroom tricks, chemicals and papers to dodge, burn, increase or decrease saturation, change colours, brightness and contrast pretty much since photography was invented.

Point and shoot cameras have all the adjustments already set for you so that you can...well point and shoot and usually get a decent image. Even then, most p&s images can be improved by a tiny bit of editing. Dslr cameras on the other hand, allow you to stop the camera making any 'average' decisions about the scene so that they just record the raw data of light so you can process the image individually - this takes more time, but creates a better image - just as photographers did in the darkroom years ago when using film and chemicals.

Ruf, if you are having problems with your eyesight and focusing, change the diopter settings and see if that makes a difference (will be in your manual). Also check whether you are shooting using AI Servo, AI Focus or one shot and change the focus mode according to what you are shooting. Also look at the metering mode that you are using and change it according to what you are shooting.

Also look into changing your settings to allow you to set up the Back Focus Button - it makes a huge difference to accurate focusing compared to using the half press of the shutter button, but some people find it takes a while to get used to it. Also enable the camera to use Peripheral Illumination Correction according to the lenses you use (will also be in the manual).

Also shooting wide open (eg @2.8) will limit the depth of filed and make it much easier to miss the focus on something. This is especially true with macro photography that has a very shallow depth of field anyway. Camera-subject distance, the lenses focal length and circle of confusion criterion also affects DOF so its a bit more complicated than just using a smaller aperture (larger F number). Play with shooting around 3.5-5.6 and see if your focus issues resolve (there are other variables to consider though so nothing beats practice to see what works and when).

"Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson is a really good book to help understand how the triangle (aperture, shutter speed and iso) work together to create different effects in a photo and help you get the most out of any dslr camera.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next