Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Brahma babies - boys or girls?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:35 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

i reakon it goes_

girl
boy
boy (definantly)
girl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:57 am 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

My understanding of the gold brahma colour is that it should be very similiar to a Partridge Wyandotte.

Looking at these 4 birds on colour alone, they all look like females to me.

I haven't bred Brahmas so I seek the opinion of BYP people that are experienced with them, but I'm not seeing any black/red (partridge) males in these pics.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:32 pm 
lucky you, all pullets.

don't rush out to get a rooster take it easy as there are always plenty of spare roosters around and you want one that will compliment your pullets and of good quality.

i just went back through the topic and you could see them looking more like pullets as they progressed. i have a heap of columbians running around. i am working on the theory that the roosters take the longest to get a tail. i know anything gold will be a pullet.

these 2 i am 99% sure are pullets now they are 3/4 brahma and 1/4 indian. their brothers have no tails.

so much easier in the indians as the hens become laced and the roosters get black breasts and you don't have to look at combs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:03 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thank you all :D

Definately no rush for a rooster, I need to build a seperate coop for them first as they free range all day with my layers and our Bantam Araucanas and will need to be seperated before I get them a handsome man!

They have just gone through a mini growth spurt and now are the size of our largest layer girl and they make a squeaky sound rather than the clucking I am used to, it is so cute! I love my Brahma :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:04 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Elysiann,

Well Done. I do like the stance of the 3rd girl in last set of pics.

See even those that breed that colour and breed dont get it right :lol:

Thank you for the photos along the way.

Cheers and Enjoy your Brahma's

Victoria

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:12 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Well, that was fun reading! Thanks for all the pics Elysiann. I assume they did all turn out to be pullets and I hope you've enjoyed your very beautiful birds. I think I won't write off my boyish looking 6 week old quite yet after reading that thread! And I don't know if the comment about tails being slowest to grow in boys is correct or not, but my boyish baby has a very big tail... I'll wait a few weeks more :-)

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a tripawd Beagle mix, 2 Pekins, a Bantam Light Sussex, a Bantam Salmon Faverolles, a Bantam Australian Langshan, a Bantam Plymouth Rock, a Bantam Brahma, a Bantam Australorp, a hive of bees and a family of boys.