Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - gender plymouth rock, slw & glw?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:28 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I have to work out the gender of a few young chickens as hobbyfarmfun & I went halves in some eggs and now we have to sort out who wants what?

This first one I think could be a cockerel plymouth rock. What do you think?

The next one is a silver laced wyandotte:

Thirdly, Gold laced wyandotte - pullet?

It's difficult to get photos. Most of them turn out a blur, or otherwise I get the back of them as they are running into a bush. I might have to catch them and put them in a small cage to get better ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:36 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I think the only female you have is the GLW.
The First rock picture is definately male.
SLW looks male to me too as the comb is really red.
Gold Wyandotte is hard to say but i'd be inclined to think pullet. I've never seen GLW as young.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:40 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

thanks Darrssy, that was quick. Yeah, that's what I thought too. I wasn't sure so it's good to have a second opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:45 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Gold laced is a pullet :)
other two are iffy on gender, leaning towards roosters.

I really like your drinker. A nice size and practical. would be interested if you had a product brand/name and price :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:07 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The drinker looks like one of the auto ones you can buy from Farmer's Mailbox Andy..http://www.fmb.com.au
We have them in all the calf sheds at work. They are very good. I'm leaning towards getting some for my ducks.

Post subject: drinker
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:49 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

The drinker is jus a pot plant holder - the sort that you buy from Bunnings and fix to a wall. We used them in an auto drinking system because of those reasons. I think from memory they were about $6.00 and already had holes at the top designed for screwing in. I just keep a dishwashing brush hooked onto the wire fence and give it a swirl around when I go down each day to keep the plastic clear of gunk and it's all good. You could fix it to whatever height you like. I use them a bit higher in the adult pens, and even higher in the turkey cage. If I don't have a solid wall, I just fix to a fence post.

We had to drill a hole in the side for a water inlet. We matched it to the reticulation piping we bought - also Bunnings. The whole system of four pens using one toilet cistern, pipe, pot planters, etc came to a whole $70. The only thing I would do next time is not use it for ducks because they are a bit muckier and sometimes dirt can wash back up the pipe. We had to move them out of these pens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:21 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

That's certainly a cheaper version than the one I suggested.
Although the ones we have work on a ball cock system basically the same thing really I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:36 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Plymouth Rock is definatly a boy as he is not yet fully feathered but look to be about 12 weeks old?
GLW looks like a pullet and SLW could go either way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:46 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Looks like I need to have a trip to bunnings :) I am surprised they dont have a hole in the bottom, like most pots do for drainage.

How does the cistern work for 4 pens? I am guessing this would be to just cut the pressure down. In which case you would have to install some sort of ball-cock valve on each flower pot?.

Impressive anyway. I will definately follow up these wall mounted flower pots. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:14 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Andy Vardy wrote:
I am surprised they dont have a hole in the bottom, like most pots do for drainage.

You would reakon that they would. Being in the horticulture industry, you would be surprised how many pots are made without holes - sometimes intentionally sometimes not :roll:

I may be able to get these w/sale if enough people are interested. I know the owner of the largest pot producer in Aus quiet well (actually he is pretty well the only pot producer in Aus now)

Honk

Post subject: toilet cistern
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:35 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

It is just the inside part of the toilet - the float valve. We've mounted it in a 100ml piece of sewer pipe with a cap on the top. The tricky bit was making the heights correct on the water pots. All of the pots have to be on exactly the same level. (Our heights are different for the birds simply because we have a slope.) It works better on mains pressure but we have it attached to a water tank that gravity feeds.

We have a gutter on the chook shed which fills a 200L water tank on a stand (this gives our gravity). We have connected 12ml pipe from the bottom of the tank to the modified cistern, then an outlet feeds the watering pots. We have connected it all with reticulation fittings. It all works well for chickens and cleaner birds - but not for ducks which mucky it up and clog it. The gravity feed very slowly fills the containers, but mains would do it quicker. It's fine for a small number of birds, we've got about 40 birds using it fine, but if you increased it a lot you might need higher pressure.