Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - 6 week Barnevelders -gender help please -UPDATE 11 weeks now

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:25 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi everyone,

My two Barnevelder chicks are 6 weeks old now. I had been thinking they were both cockerals, but now I think there's a teeny-weeny chance that one might be a pullet. Following are some photos - I've got more photos, particularly close ups of Chick No 1 (potential pullet?) if they'd be helpful.

The first two shots are the chick I think might be a pullet.

This is the chick I think is almost definitely a cockerel.

And this next photo isn't very good quality but does kind of show the variations in their feathering.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Melanie

Last edited by Melanie Joy on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:33 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Sorry, but I think they are both cockerals going by the colouring, also at 4 weeks my pullets are almost completely feathered, no bare spots like yours. Pullets tend to be a bit more 'delicate' in the legs as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:44 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I too think you have too boys, but dont dispare they may not be bad quality ( thaht means thaht you should be able to rehome tham if you need to- and not to the pot)
nice yellow legs - wish my birds had legs that colour this time of year.
Roogz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:02 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I would say that both are almost definately cockerels sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:11 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

At 6 weeks I think they're boys as well

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:14 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

No eggs from them, sorry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:06 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Thanks everyone for your responses. Unanimously boys!

Can't say I'm too disappointed - I had them both pegged as cockerals from pretty early on. We hatched them under my friend's Pekin bantam and they're still with her, so I hadn't seen them since just before Christmas.

CoopSlave & Roogz - their legs are definitely very chunky and very yellow. They've been free-ranging since a couple of weeks old (not recommended, I know) and my friend's been giving them his spent broccoli plants, so maybe that helped?

If they turn out to be good quality I'll probably try to keep one myself (I'm in suburbia so he'd be sleeping in a box, in a cupboard, in my shed). Some friends in the neighbourhood have already expressed interest in receiving a visit from a travelling neighbourhood stud rooster.

I'll definitely have to rehome at least one though. And find some Barnie pullets somewhere!

Thanks again and I'll let you know how they turn out,

Melanie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:47 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hello to everyone who checked these chicks out when they were 6 weeks old.

They're 11 weeks old now and doing great. They came through the heat wave and haven't even sniffled since my wyandotte pullets got a respiratory infection.

There's definitely no question that the one in the back is a cockerel. I can't wait to see how he turns out.

I still hold out the smallest amount of hope that the one in the front might be a pullet. It feathered up much faster than the nest mate and the comb and wattles are no where near as developed. But still, its legs are chunky and they're both relatively slow to feather.

Good news is, I have someone locally who's willing to take one of them to join his established Barnevelder flock, so they're both going to have happy backyard Barnie homes!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:22 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Sorry they are both males (they would show double lacing also by now if pullets ) They look good type wise . Can't see the colour on breast from photo !(should be single laced and about 20% colour ) Just one thing but the bird to far left only showing the tail , I believe is a cock bird TOO ( going by the bend in the tail feathers !)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:02 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Thanks, Martin. The two in the picture definitely have NO lacing on their chest. In fact their chests are still black with only the tiniest bit of colour coming through in a line here and there.

Now, the other bird - you'd be talking about this one:

I've had my suspicions about him for a while. I bought him in a group of three older chicks. He got his wattles earlier than the others, and even as a complete novice I could see that his feathering was different to the other two. I'm fairly confident they're both pullets.

And this is a better photo of the one on the left in the foreground.

Thanks for your feedback, Martin.

Melanie (with fingers seriously crossed!)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:34 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

2 males, sorry. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:30 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Going by saddle and hackle feathers, plus the fact they are leggy compared to their body mass - all are boys.

At 11 weeks, all my pullets (different breeds though) have no down feathers left at all.

Also boys tend to redden around the eyes at 10-12 weeks - girls remain pale. All the pictures appear to show red colouration around the eyes. This is based on my experience sexing 3 other breeds, not barnevelder though.

Orpingtons & Araucanas...bantam
Gold Lace Wyandottes...standard