Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - OEGB and Australorp chick

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:38 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Can someone please tell me what colour these old english game bantam chicks will be? Their mother is partridge and their father mottled. I thought partridge but they have white chests. I thought the white would go when they got feathers but they are feathering white there. I think there might be 2 pullets and two cockerals.

This australorp chick is 4wks old and i think might be a cockerel?? I only have the one so there is nothing to compare him to. I am going to give him a boxing name because he ducks and weaves when you try to take his photo- sorry about the poor quality.

Cheryl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:28 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I think your right Cheryl, 2 boys and two girls for the games and a boy Australorp :) As for the colour the Australorp will be black!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I know nothing about the games colours :cry:

Michelle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:52 pm 
i presume you mean the oEG rooster was a spangled. a spangled OEG is a mottled partridge. the chicks are split mottle because the mother wasn't and the father was. mottling needs 2 doses to show usually. so the chicks will most likely just be partridge pullets and black red roosters.

however if unbeknowns to you the mother partridge was split for the mottling gene then half the chicks will be spangled and half not......

k

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:03 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Oops I did mean spangled- sorry. This is the dad and an identical hen except the mother has a single comb.

Cheryl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:35 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

oh, they are adorable. I love the white chests. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:07 pm 
unfortunatly the white breast will go but as long as you remember they had them then you know they are split for mottling and can put them back to the father.......shame about that rose comb on the mother though.....and a little creast too :shock:

k

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:21 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

They are not something we are keeping. We were given three hens and a rooster before I joined here. They were actually what started the whole chicken thing. I have given the other two hens to my neighbours son along with the roo and he will take the third hen when she finishes raising an australorp chick for me. The four chicks we hatched were an incubator experiment to learn how to use it. Not sure what we will do with them yet- i guess either take them to the next auction or give them to our neighbour if he wants them.

Thankyou very much for all the replies!

Cheryl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:38 am 
glad i was of some use. i hope you learned something other than using an incubator.

regards,

ruff but not tuff.