Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - I think I know... ID help

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:38 am 

I have two chickens (a rooster and a hen) that I think I have finally identified the breed but would love verification. I am thinking these are white-laced Cornish. Am I even close?

Cheers,

Isaac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:37 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

They look like Indian game crosses to me. They are too leggy and upright to be pure.
They will produce young cocrels that would be good to eat.
Sigrid

Large and Bantam leghorns in blue, Black, white, splash and blue duckwing, Marans in Wheaten, Polish in wc black, Malays, Coronation and speckled Sussex. Also Secretary to the French Marans Club of Australia.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:13 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Definitely not pure Cornish/Indian game. They could be a breed in the US that isnt here in Australia or simply a cross.

J

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:16 am 
seeing you are in america isaac i think you are right. we do not have white laced reds in australia. they are not pure.

thanks for the photos, i find the white laced reds interesting and find it hard to see any photos....other than the old ones on feather site etc.

k

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:56 am 
Great Game
Great Game

ruff wrote:
seeing you are in america isaac i think you are right. we do not have white laced reds in australia. they are not pure.

k

Erm, we do, I swear it. I've seen them, and they were certainly pure.

but these ones aren't pure - probably crosses of Indians/Cornish.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:56 pm 
well wacksnotquacks i am glad to hear that. i worked out how to make them and have it in mind while i am playing around with the silvers but if they are here well i will leave it up to others. it took me a lot of thinking on how it was done but i have decided it is quite simple.

k

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:36 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Jubilees? Is that what they're called that you're thinking of? Coz if so, we DEF have them! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:13 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Jubilees (JI) I don't believe are the same colour-wise. The ground colour of the Jubilee female is chestnut, brown, or mahogany and is double laced with white. And the glossy black of the dark is replaced everywhere by white in both male and female Jubes.

With the White Laced Red Indian (WLR) (Cornish) on the other hand, both males and females are all red ground based, with only a single, narrow outer edging of white lacing.

So the WLR is all red (including breast, neck, shoulders, but not sure about tail), both male and female, with a single white tipped edging to each feather. Whereas the JI, both male (male especially) and female have large areas of white, where in the dark the feather is found to be black. Lacing is obvious on the female Jube, that being double laced, not single. (deduced from the pics I have seen and what I have read)

The above birds definately don't look pure to me, but certainly have Cornish in them.

Am sure ruff will correct me where I am wrong :)

Regards :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:20 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

As everyone said, probably Indian/Cornish.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:45 pm 
you are right rollyard, the rooster and the hen are laced. they are single laced and from my american standards the hackle is supposed to be laced too. they are based on eb and were originally made from wyndottes. it took me a while to work out howcome the rooster could be single laced but fiddling with my own birds and being persistant on asking on BYP i got an answer to the history froma fellow who said he was a descendant from the original breeder. must admit it most likely is not so simple. i have a single laced rooster at the moment but this is because of hen feather, the american birds are not henfeather.

k

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:01 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

A comparison! Top picture, Jubilee Indians (Cornish), bottom picture, White Laced Reds.

These wonderful paintings by Goh Lentink, taken from a book I have. If any offence, I will remove, but thought they were appropriate for the question and topic. Looks a bit skew-whiff, had to take pic on an angle to prevent flash glare.

And I believe the tail is the same on the White Laced Reds as the rest of the body colourwise on both sexes, ground colour red with white lacing. Exquisite!

rollyard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:17 pm 
here is a photo from an old american book i have:

here is a link to some photos i found on feathersite or somewhere:

http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/show ... 522&page=5

don't get depressed isaac, if you can find birds that look like these get lots of photos and put them here...i would love to see them.

k

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:52 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

What a wonderful example generally (in my opinion, not everyones granted) of the Indian Game Fowl. And look at that leg length, cetainly not too long, not short either, maybe could be a little heavier in bone is all? Grand stance, short hackle, neat comb & wattle, wings up tight and neat tail with sickles and tail coverts close and hard, broad and muscular without being overdone, and I bet a very active fowl :P

A couple of years ago I had a bantam cock bird that was the spitting image of the bird in this picture, leg length & bone included. I killed it due to advice from the so called experts, who said it was rubbish. Not a day goes by that I don't totally regret doing this. In hindsight he was such a wonderful little bird. Unfortunately, I no longer keep Indians because I found it too tiresome trying to please the experts and what they expected in Indians. If you read the Aussie standards, there are quite a few discrepancies in the standards requirements and the birds shown today. Very sad for the breed :(

Thanks ruff, I haven't seen that photo before :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:05 am 

I purchased them as chicks (along with an assortment of others) from a well known hatchery here in the States. Looking through there catalogue, this is the best I can find to match them up... http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product ... rnish.html

Isaac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:12 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Maybe send them the pics and ask them what they are Isaac. They are definatley not a straight Indian/cornish game, non the less very striking looking birds :D

Michelle