Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - croad langshans — sex?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: croad langshans — sex?
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:03 pm 
Hi.
8 weeks ago I hatched 3 croad langshans. By comb/wattle development the cockerel is absolutely clear:
But out of the other two, both have almost identical comb and wattle development (in fact the down-tailed pullet has a slightly redder wattle), but the other has very cockerel-like stance and has also feathered up a bit more slowly than the obvious pullet. (Yet still faster than his/her brother.)
Here's the definite pullet. She has a very rumpy stance, but that's just her conformation, not cocci.
Here's a front view of the definite pullet, so you can get a better look at the comb/wattle development:
Here's the cockerel in front; the not-sure bird is behind. Compare combs...
Question: if the rear bird is a 'he', shouldn't he have a more advanced comb like his brother? Also 'his' feathers are round-ended so far, whereas the obvious cockerel's saddle feathers are more pointy.
Here's a side shot of the maybe bird, looking more like a cockerel than earlier:
I know these aren't the greatest photos, but could anyone tell me whether the mystery croad might be a pullet, or does it seem more likely I have 2 cockerels?
Thanks all.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:15 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi Jennie , Fairly confident a trio . Nice birds . You should breed them on . (not sell them :wink: ) Just check the feet and nails for colour. If you need info on this pm me . :) You'll most likely find the obvious pullet's tail will come up with age .
Mart
PS They know how to pack the food away (wait till they grow a bit more) :)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:58 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Looks like 2 females and one male :)

Michelle

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:06 pm 
Hi Mart, thank you! Glad to hear I've got a trio. Maybe you've talked me into keeping them... I'm not worried about the amount of food... More worried about having any room for them once we move.
Michelle, thank you too. It's great to get a unanimous vote so far. (More than I expected!)
cheers
Jennie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

By those pictures I might say that you have a nice trio there. 1 male 2 females.

That female that is standing rather roach backed is standing like a cocci problem chick, but you have checked that and you say it seems clear.
I would give them all a good dose of wormer as that may help. At their age it wont hurt them and it will help their growth.

Good luck with the Croads. They are a nice quiet big breed.