Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Mystery chook

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mystery chook
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:36 pm 

This chook turned up in our yard today. I have no idea where it came from. Especially as we live in town. I think it might be a roo (saddle feathers) and it looks like it has scaly legs.
Can anyone help me with breed and sex?

I am having trouble adding my picture so I have linked to my gallery photo http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/showphoto.php?photo=19059&ppuser=6050

Emily

Emily - I have put it here for you now :) - It is the code under your pic that needs copying and pasting here to get it to display :wink:

D.

Post subject: Re: Mystery chook
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:05 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I thought it looked like a hen :? Couldnt even have a guess at the breed, colours look nice though :)

Michelle

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:30 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

For once I agree with Michelle.She seems old in the legs

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:51 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi all,

I reckon it is a rooster lok at those pointy sickle feathers.

Christian

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:36 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

It could be a young cockerel of a random backyard crossbreed; the saddle feathers do look rooster but if it were old, I'm sure it'd be crowing by now. If, however, it were young but with scaly leg, that could explain any lack of big curly feathers in the tail and neck.

Failing that, me being ignorant, are there breeds where the hen has nice pointy saddle feathers??

Whether you plan to keep it or not, put it into quarantine - strictly away from your existing chooks. If you're keeping it, you'll want to treat the legs, worm it, and build up its health until it's strong enough to cope with being a single new chook introduced to an existing flock ...

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:15 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I would think definite ckl.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:34 pm 
it looks like a hen to me, but then there are those saddle feathers. it does not look really happy. maybe it is a very old hen looking for a home, with some TLC and a good reliable food supply to pass her final days.

k

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:37 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Your attention is drawn to the general site request: PLEASE KEEP your POSTS INFORMATIVE and HElPFUL.

It is better not to post at all if you feel unable to comply; perhaps consider a PM as an alternative response.

Posts have been removed from this thread accordingly.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:03 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

The bird looks to be a rooster from the saddle feather and sicles, may be old or sick.
If you wish to keep it, catch and segregate from your own birds just in case it is sick
Trev

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:00 pm 

Thanks you for all your replies. There is still no sign of crowing, so fingers crossed it's a she. In that photo it was looking very sad - I think it ate too much. The poor thing was starving and just ate and ate and ate. It weighs nothing and all its bones are sticking out. But, it has since perked up (and been wormed) and doing happy chook things.

It makes lots of clucking noises, like a hen, do roosters cluck? (I have never owned one so have no idea the noises they make apart from the obvious crowing :oops: )
Its a sweet little thing that is happy to cuddle and put up with my children, :D

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:05 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Roosters can be just as chatty as hens, definitely, although I've only heard mine in conjunction with hens, when they have very distinctive sounds.

Roosters tend to be making strangled crowing noises by 12 weeks or so; it can be pushed back to even 20 weeks if they're less dominant in a larger pen and/or have been unwell (certainly the case with mine!!).

If it's not crowing in a couple of weeks, then it looks like you've got yourself an interesting cross-breed hen! It's unlikely to start laying before spring, what with being run down and it being winter, when hens go off the lay anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:07 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

It may be quiet because it is unwell. I would keep it quarantined from both other chooks and humans until it returns to full health!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:32 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

one of my roos didn't start to crow until he was a couple of weeks shy of being a year old. i know he wasn't crowing in secret as i'm usually either in the yard with them, in one of my studios next to chook area, or in the house with windows open. each roo has a different voice, so i know he wasn't one of them crowing. yes roosters do make a clucky noise. when they find something (usually food stuff) on the ground, they make a clucky noise raise their heads up and down in a semi fast motion, "pointing" out the goods they have found to the hens. he's saying "look, look what i've found, come here and check it out" or " hey girls, good food here, come on over". hens do not generally display this behavior unless, they have babies they are teaching how to eat.

danish brown leghorns..araucanas..white, partridge & self blue silkies..black sumatras..BBR cubalayas..golden phoenix..WC black polish bantams..a few Xs... and no peafowl this season :'(

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:08 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I love it when the roosters and hens with chicks do that 'bok bok bok' 'come and look at this food here' noise - sometimes they even peck the food up then put it back down again for the hens or chicks - how selfless is that to give away the best food?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:19 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Fee wrote:
I love it when the roosters and hens with chicks do that 'bok bok bok' 'come and look at this food here' noise - sometimes they even peck the food up then put it back down again for the hens or chicks - how selfless is that to give away the best food?

i know, i spend hours watching them, (that's why nothing gets done around here :rofl: ). i also love it when mommy holds the food in her beak and the littles actually take it out of her mouth, then as they get bigger, she bok, boks holds the food higher, and the littles actually have a jumping contest to see which one gets it first.

danish brown leghorns..araucanas..white, partridge & self blue silkies..black sumatras..BBR cubalayas..golden phoenix..WC black polish bantams..a few Xs... and no peafowl this season :'(