Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Someone reassure me she is not a he...& what colour?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:29 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I'm pretty sure Bella is a girl (please tell me she's a girl!!)...she's a Pekin & 15 weeks old & the only reason I'm wondering is she's so much bigger than her sister (although, having said that, we had the same thing happen with our last girls - one was a lot bigger & better developed than her sister) & she sometimes makes a rusty crowing sound (but not all the time). She doesn't appear to have spurs.

Also...can someone indicate what colour she is, please. I'm still not good on my Pekin colourings, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:34 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Looks like a Wheaten cockerel to me
David

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:38 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

If she's really a roo...would it have been normal for him/her to have waited so long to start crowing? We've only heard her "crow" on 2 occaisons...& it wasn't really a proper crow.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:43 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I say cockerel too. One of my roosters didn't start crowing until he was about 7 months old.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:44 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Definetly a cockerel and he would just be coming on to the crow now.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:45 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Sorry Epiphany I don't think there is much doubt that you have a cockerel there. Some do keep us in suspense and wishful thinking longer than others. The first crowing attempts are mostly not "proper crows" - they will soon develop with practice though! :)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:45 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Definitely looks like a wheaten cockerel and looking at the girls, they are wheaten based as well. He is only 15 weeks old...he is just learning to crow. Give him another couple of weeks and he will be better at it.

J

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:48 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Bother...now I don't know what to do. We're allowed Roos where I live but I don't want to upset the neighbours (a noise complaint is enough to get them removed).

I've been told Pekins aren't as noisy as larger breeds...is he going to make a nuisence of himself, do you think?

Not only that, we've just lost one of our older girls to a long & nasty respiratory infection, so giving Bella away (going to have to change "her" name) or euthanising him is going to be particularly traumatic for my kids (especially my 12 year old...Bella is her bird).

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:03 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

bella definitely needs a new name,the colouring is a dead giveaway, if he was a girl he would be the same colour as the girls, with wheatens the boys are bella's colour and the girls are like the others, he also has much larger wattles than the others.
The crowing will vary depending on the bird and whether or not other roos are within earshot, cheers pam

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:25 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

The colouring was one of the reasons I was getting concerned.

I'm going to have to go & grovel to the neighbours. We don't want to get rid of him - he's a real sweetie & very friendly. But the coop is next to the neighbours bedrooms. So he could be a problem in summer. We light-proofed it so our head hen would stop mock-crowing in the mornings, so he might not be too bad...otherwise I suppose I could bring him in at night.

Bother.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:19 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Have just been off grovelling to the neighbours. Apparently they *like* crowing roosters (to which I always say...yeah, right...wait until the middle of summer when it gets light at 5am & we'll see if you like them then!). Anyhow...he's staying for now & I'm going to get him a light-proof box to go in the coop (or will have to bring him indoors if he's still making noise). The neighbours have promised to come to me if there are any concerns or if they can hear him (apparently they can't hear the girls - & they make a hideous din after laying, so we might be ok).

I've promised them eggs once the girls start laying again. Eggs = neighbourly happiness.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:26 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I like your negotiation skills, and in all honesty, I only hear my roosters if I am already awake, they do not wake me, so maybe you will be lucky, cheers pam

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:42 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Sorry, Bellas a boy! I had a baby silkie named bella. :biggrin: