Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Hi, I'm Fred.... I think?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:15 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi,
I'm Fred.
When I was picked up from the farm I hatched at, the farmer told the people who look after me now, that I was an Andalusian pullet.... I had turquoise blue ears back then and looked more like a coq.
These days I look like this, I've put more weight on and have filled out but I'm still a bit cocky ;) My comb has flopped to side and some people say that thats a hen trait...
Also I have no idea of what age I am... so, am I Andalusian, am I a male or female and what age am I? :hmmm:
Heres another pic of me....I think I'm kinda handsome in this one.
This is a pic of my best friend, Splash, She was smaller when we moved from the farm and her comb was way paler than mine, these days it's getting a little darker....we also both have significant spur stubs developing, Splashes are bigger than mine, but I'm pretty sure she's younger than me!
So folks, Whadd'ya think?
Any ideas?
I also have some Barnevelder friends, I'm pretty sure they're both girls but we have no idea what age they are either!
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:34 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

All females . The Barnies look fairly young. The Andalusians ( or crosses ?) don't look too old either , but difficult to tell.I'm guess all less than 12 months old . You should have some nice white eggs and brown eggs soon .

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:11 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

freda more like and look andulusian by the head, but would need a body shot to be sure--and splash is exactly what she is a splash pullet,most likely andulsian too, and yes two pretty barnie girls too----cheers pam

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:09 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Martin Holmes wrote:
All females . The Barnies look fairly young. The Andalusians ( or crosses ?) don't look too old either , but difficult to tell.I'm guess all less than 12 months old . You should have some nice white eggs and brown eggs soon .

Quote:
freda more like and look andulusian by the head, but would need a body shot to be sure--and splash is exactly what she is a splash pullet,most likely andulsian too, and yes two pretty barnie girls too----cheers pam

Woo hoo hoo hoo hoo!!!
I've been like an overly-dithery mother hen about the lot of them, one day convinced they were one gender and the next, the other.
Thanks...
You are right on age Martin, I should have been more age-specific. The oldest bird that I currently have is 27 weeks. I suspect the Barnies are among the youngest...maybe 22-25 weeks at the most. Freda seems to be older, possibly close to the oldest I have (which is Light Sussex) I'm REALLY looking forward to a few eggs, although it's well and truely hitting winter here in NZ so I may have to be patient!

Pam, the Barnies are just gorgeous, although I'm finding that all chickens have their endearing features. As for the Andalusians, they are such an adventurous pair, they've managed to scale the dizziest heights of my coop. They're still both very scrawny but they were riddled with worm and mites when I first brought them home and have been recovering nicely. Sorry I don't have a body shot but may try to post one tomorrow. (to be sure :wink: )

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:47 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Hi livinlifelighter - just following up to finalise some INDEX listings :D

Have you confirmed genders yet?