Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Help me decipher what colour silkies and if any are bantams

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:09 pm 

Ok in photo one I have some young silkies, these I was told are patridge? When I google partridge they are more brown so will these change as they get older or are they grey or blue??. We have had them about 4 weeks and they were only tiny when we got them but not sure on age.

and in this photo we have a couple of new additions today :) Can you tell me if the brown one is buff or patridge? And also we are told they are bantam silkies having never really seen silkies IRL before I am not sure. And reading on the net bantams are about 500g they are definately not bantams. They are about 6 months old and are pictured with a bantam australorp. They are pretty much the same size as the bantam australorp but not as heavy. Any help would be appreciated as I am a confused novice :aaargh:

Thanks,
Lisa.

Last edited by lisian on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:37 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

LOL,a confused novice and now an addict :rofl:
Told you you would get more :lol: .
Cant help on colours though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:48 pm 

:catch: Lol easily addictive :claps:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:53 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Lisa,

By "kinda" I think you probably mean "colour" :?:

If so, it would be a good idea to edit the title please so that everyone understands just what you are requesting help with. :wink:

If later the discussion starts to include genetics, it may appropriately be moved to another forum.

There are some stickies at the top of this forum...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:58 pm 

Sorry I am after colour and if some are regular or bantam. Sorry I am new and didnt know I was doing anything wrong :cry: I have changed the title I didnt know it was inappropriate.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:03 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

You are not doing anything wrong :)

Just trying to assist you get the info that you really want & help me with indexing the topic. :wink:

That is much clearer now. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:36 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

The top photo the three silkies shown are not partridge. To me it looks like two greys and a black. I think the browny one in the next photo would be buff, but it looks not a great example colourwise (but i'm no expert!)

As far as full size or bantam goes, I think full size. Silkies are quite a bit smaller than a normal 'large' chook. Perolpe often call them 'silkie bantams' as they are small without realiseing a real bantam silkie is tiny.

NellyG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:42 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Two greys and one black or dark blue. Does the dark one have black down or grey-blue? Makes it easier to see if you wet the back a bit.

The bottom one I don't think is a standard colour. I guess would be buff with extra black feathers.

Definately not bantam. In the US they are called bantam and some people here get confused and call a standard - bantam. Makes it hard when people look at US websites and see them called bantam.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:14 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

The birds in the top pic are 2 greys and a black

the second photo is a white (obvious), and a poorly coloured buff. Buff silkies should be an even buff throughout with no black markings. She could possibly have some partidge blood in her as well as a some partrige silkies colouring oftens "washes out" like this one

cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:01 am 

Thanks everyone, so it looks like 2 greys then and a black. The black is now at my parents so will check the colour of the down next time I am there.

As for the brown silky it has grey down I guess thats what you call it and then the brown/orange on the outer feathers. Will try and get a photo of it to show better. I also didnt think they could be bantams as they are quite large but we bought them sight unseen and they got delivered to us so cant complain they are friendly chickens and the kids love them :D

One of the little grey ones is a rooster and I am going to keep him and see how noisy he is and maybe try a night box, but I would like to breed him with the white and brown ones. But if the brown one has funny colouring does it matter? They wouldnt be for show birds just pets.

Thanks,
Lisa.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:51 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Link added to INDEX :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:10 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

They will be lovely pets and breeding poor colours won't matter at all - you will get an interesting selection! Good luck with them. They are lovely birds to keep.

NellyG