Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Brahma babies - boys or girls?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:35 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

ahhh okay. I getcha now.

I did contact the dude I got these from with questions, and I know he kept them on wire, he did suggest their original symptoms may have been stress induced from their trip south - as their poo had a little bit of pinkish orange in it - not much, and they showed no others signs of sickness, I mainly treated them as a precaution.

Chicory I use woodshavings because it is a little cleaner and the poo sinks into it more - if that makes sense. I did use hay at one stage, but the poo sits on top and they kept treading into it and it needed changing a lot more - I have discovered that four good size Brahma chicks poo a lot!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:04 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hello to you to Daza :D

Girls, PLEASE- Daza is correct. If they get wet feet they get sick and if they survive they will be smaller and weaker. We are breeding Brahmas to make them BIGGER, not smaller. I had a boy survive cocci and he was smaller than his brothers and of course the lowest in the pecking order. I did give him to a friend as he was quite handsome and he is happy with some backyard girls and he is the only boy so his story ends well. But I wouldn't like to have seen him constantly contend with the stress of having other males close by.

Your Brahmas are "spesh" so they need to be cared for to take into account that they have feathered feet. When the weather is dry, by all means let them run on the grass but just keep an eye on them when wet weather sets in.

And I hope you may be able to make a trip to the annual Brahma show this year in July at queanbeyan ( beside Canberra). :thumbs: would love you to be there

Victoria

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:31 am 
Thanks Daza. Yes these guys are special. I can't get shavings at present so I will make sure the straw stays clean. They are big healthy chicks. I only have 1 really good one that I can see, and she is a Light Brahma. The Speckled don't have terrific foot feathering, and the other 2 are lovely but are 1/2 Cochin. It's going to be a long hard uphill battle trying to get a flock of brahma together. I'm not even thinking about colours!
I have had to be so careful here not to stress the birds, with the rain and humidity. I have chicks I need to seperate from their mums (Sussex chicks) but will wait until next week. It's a juggling act.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:29 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I am being very careful with wet weather as it was one of the first things I read up on about Brahma and their fancy feet.

I am thinking ahead with colour, and pen design for when they are bigger - now the floods have passed and we can get into town again I need to start building the pens for my Brahma, my layers, and the kids Bantams, so I need to think hard on design and how many Brahma I eventually want to have. The old pen gets too much water through it, so we are relocating the chickens to higher ground.

I am definately planning on getting a couple of Blue pullets at some point in the future :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:59 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

UPDATE - Aurra, definite boy, starting to develop his boy colours

Padme - pullet, pencilled chest no colour changes.

Asajj, most likely boy.

Riyo, not sure but leaning towards cockerel. Very red comb, same gold orange spangled chest as Aurra and Asajj.

Aurra is a definate keeper, but I really adore Asajj's character... no idea what I am going to do at this stage.

Driving Brissie way tomorrow to pick the kids up, so will get photos of the Brahma babies Friday, when the kids are here to help me :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:11 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Have their 8wk photos - but they are not high in detail as i have uploaded lower resolution shots. Will have more detailed photos at ten weeks.

Asajj - we are thinking cockerel still, getting a lot of reddish ginger across his back.

Aurra - cockerel. My daughter has her hand under his chest, which is why he is standing that way.

Padme - thinking pullet, no colour changes, darker more barred breast - again she is standing weird because she is trying to escape my daughters clutches.

Riyo - No idea, still has a gingery breast but I am still hoping pullet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:29 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

If I were to guess I was say boy boy girl girl but that is only based on the combs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:53 pm 
Do they take a lot longer for wattle development? My 5 (3 brahma and 2 cochin X brahma) were in the same hatch as 2 Sussex, and the Sussex boy has wattle growth showing well already. I have been thinking that my Brahma might all be girls, but I'm going to have to wait a while yet. They are 6 weeks old.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:35 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Elyssan,

Still very hard at this age to tell their sex. They can all of a sudden change feather coloring . I'd wait until the 10 pics before confirming sexes.

Yes the Brahma are slow Chicory at developing combs and wattles and then some brothers can be quicker then the others. The Brahma are slow growing birds anyway.

Elyssan, :thumbs: great job , notice how nice and yellow their legs are getting.

Chooks are very hard to photograph, a camera with a zoom lens really is the go, then you don't have to get too close and scare them and you can also observe them going about their natural business ( whatever that maybe at the time :roll: 8) ).

Chicory, can't wait for some piccys of yours too- Pwetty Pwease :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:04 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

feathered friends wrote:
Elyssan,

Still very hard at this age to tell their sex. They can all of a sudden change feather coloring . I'd wait until the 10 pics before confirming sexes

Agreed, everytime I look at the them they look different, but admittedly I don't mind guessing aloud, and have no problems with being wrong :P I spend a good half hour watching them in the morning, and in the afternoon just wondering what sex they are XD Will be leg banding them this week however, as can tell them apart, but the kids are now clueless.

feathered friends wrote:
Elyssan, :thumbs: great job , notice how nice and yellow their legs are getting

I know... I thought they'd stay with pink legs, I had no idea chicken legs changed colour! Awesomeness!

I am waiting to see photos also chicory :D pwetty pwetty please!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:15 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

9wk photos :D

Again more changes, I Aurra is back to a maybe, Asajj is looking boyish, and Riyo is looking girlish :)
Finally managed to get some legbands big enough, and they are now colour coded! I have decided that I definately don't like putting leg bands on... my poor babies were so upset!

Asajj, getting a lot of reddish ginger across back now.

Aurra, is probably half wookie with the amount of fuzz he has. Still leaning towards cockerel, but not as sure as I was.

Padme, no feather change, same as she always is. I am clueless. She has a very honky voice!

Riyo - I am thinking girl, because her new feathers are a lovely brown with big girl markings.

Still adorable, getting pretty big! when they stand upright they are the size of my australorp, but they are still shorter when it comes to shoulder height - Riyo is the smallest, and Padme is still the heaviest, Aurra has lovely long legs and the fiercest scowl :D Asajj is still the cutest.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:02 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Still 1 more week. They are at that very hard stage by photo.

Aurra has superb feathering.

May I suggest taking the band off so not to damage feather growth on this one. Stance looks good too. Might turn into your best bird from those pics.

Maybe I'd better catch a plane up and take a look in person :lol:

Victoria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:39 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Yeah I did it so I could identify them now they are changing :D but putting them on was not fun. I am thinking of removing them from Aurra and Riyo who both have a LOT of feathering but Riyo has the most problems with it, so it will be going soonish. I am pretty sure she is a girl now.

I am also very impressed with Aurra, he was such a gangly youth but he is filling out so nicely!

I am hoping I am right and I have two cockerals and two pullets. I don't really want to have to give up any of my Brahma, but I can't justify keeping more than two boys, and Aurra and Riyo are my definate keepers.

Chicken lovers are always welcome! :) there are chickens everywhere at the moment. The cats are scared! :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:38 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

And the continuing Brahma Baby saga continues, though they are not really babies anymore, more like tweens. They are twelve weeks tomorrow (by my guess - give or take a week) and they are all back into the I don't have a freaking clue category. In fact it is getting harder and harder to tell them apart, I do so by foot feathering, and how heavy their brows are. No definite boy colours yet.

So these photos are from last week, and are just head and back shots, not exactly in focus either, oops. I will try and get some body shots today.

Asajj

Aurra

Padme

Riyo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:43 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

16wks now, they are getting so big! They are the size of our Xbreed layer girls now, and I am pretty sure they are all the same gender, most likely pullets... I hope. I had thought that any boys would have a definite colour change by now - could be wrong though.

PHOTOS!!!

Asajj

Aurra

Padme

Riyo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next