Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - slow developing leghorn or cross breed??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:37 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We have a leghorn pullet that we hatched from an egg we purchased from a breeder, she is now just a couple of weeks shy of 6 months old. I have not had leghorns before so I am not sure as to how fast they develop, but Aussie seems really slow! Most pictures of leghorn pullets I see they are quite a bit bigger and have heaps bigger comb and wattles than our little girl, they even look small compared to our australorp girls. She is very slight and has a huge long tail and is so so soft! she is a beautiful girl but I am a bit miffed.
So do leghorns develop slow? or has she got a bit of something else in her? or is she destined to be a small combed leghorn?

and with her partner, Nelson the Australorp rooster the same age.. they are inseperable and it is so cute!

any experienced leghorn peoples out there, your opinions would be greatly appreciated :thanks:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:05 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I would almost definetly say she is a pure bred growing at the right rate. Good lookng tail set too, could turn out to be uite a good bird. Looks well looked after. She may be a ckl breeder and thats why her comb is standing straight and not gone over, however they usually go over with age. How much they go over is dependant on whether she is a ckl breeder or plt breeder.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:57 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thank you Nick, not having any experience with leghorns I had no idea how fast/ slow they develop! She is also so much more slender than our Australorps. Google was no help either, so many different answers there! :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:54 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

she looks on track for a leghorn. you have to remmeber that this is a dicy time of year for laying, and if pullets are not laying by autumn (when she would have been too young at six months now) she will probably not lay til come spring. she is a lovely looking bird.