Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Lavender Araucanas-is early feathering indication of sex?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:08 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I currently have three 7 day old lavender araucana chicks. I've read and heard they are notoriously difficult to sex.

I have noticed though that two have a lot more adult feathers coming through than the other one.

Both have:
-longer and larger primary wing feathers
-visible tail feathers

One has:
-visible shoulder feathers

The other one with tail feathers has shoulder feathers but not visible without parting the fluff, but the one with no visible tail feathers has almost non-existent shoulder feathers.

Photos:
Chick 1: [longer wing feathers, visible tail feathers, shoulder feathers under the fluff]

Chick 2: [longer wing feathers, visible tail and shoulder feathers]

Chick 3: [shorter wing feathers, no visible tail, non existent shoulder feathers]

Could this feathering indicate sex? I have also noticed that chick 3 is more aggressive than the others [toe pecking to the point of pulling chicks off their feet, rushing at my hand when I put it in the brooder, etc].

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:22 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Not that I am aware of! Mine certainly didn't and I hatched 23 from eggs from a breeder.

NellyG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:23 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

i don't think so, but you never know, you may be onto something, why don't you keep records and see?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:53 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I think I will keep records, will be interesting too see if there is any correlation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:41 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I love Araucana what am I's :)
If they where mine, I would say first 2 girls, last one boy.
Mark the boy (cable tie on leg) and see if it works. Maybe you could work out if that is true for your line. (do not cull on my say so :!: - you need to hatch out many of your own to see if they feather up consistently, I am still hesitant to cull this early)

You have taken photos at the perfect time to see the different feathering.

Interesting to see how they end up. :?:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:58 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

There is a chart on line somewhere (and I though it was on BYP also?? could be wrong) that gave an indication of feathering pattern relating to sex. If my memory is correct that would mean the first two are girls and the third one a boy. Might not work with all breeds though, and of course Araucanas can be very difficult to sex.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:49 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

pengilda wrote:
I love Araucana what am I's :)
If they where mine, I would say first 2 girls, last one boy.
Mark the boy (cable tie on leg) and see if it works. Maybe you could work out if that is true for your line. (do not cull on my say so :!: - you need to hatch out many of your own to see if they feather up consistently, I am still hesitant to cull this early)

That's what I thought too, 2 girls and a boy. No. 3 is nicknamed Hannibal, as he is an evil toe eater! :aaargh:

Don't worry, I don't plan on culling until there is crowing!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:23 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

with my line of aras, i find that leg width is a good indicator of sex, the boys tend to have thicker legs and a longer middle toe than the girls, of course you would need one of each to see the difference.
my girls are more agressive for the first few weeks, they rush at my hand, feet flying, cute at this age, by about 4-5 weeks, the girls stop this behaviour because the boys start bossing them around.
i'll have to look at feather sexing, i have a few young ones.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:41 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Chick 1 and 2 now have significant tail feathers and have started to get their chest feathers. One also has a few feathers coming through on it's head [giving the look of a mowhawk!].

Chick 3 'Hannibal' still has no tail feathers visible and is very much still fluffy everywhere but the wings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:32 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I usually feather sex with other breeds, but with my Araucanas I am finding that they boys develop their wing feathers the same length as the girls, so I look for feathers developing around the shoulder and breast area, and tail feather development, the girls seem to develop these faster. I also look for comb width and colour.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:22 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I breed Arau's and yes they are tricky, my thoughts are 1 & 2 are boys and the last a girl. Never can be 100% sure with them but my thoughts based on what I can see of their heads. And as someone else said, leg band the one or ones you think are girls then see what they grow out as (changing bands as needed!) as its the best way to improve your guesses next time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:46 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I ended up with 2 roosters and a hen. One of the fast feathering ones started to crow the other day and the other rooster is the slow feathering one. Feather development between the fast and slow feathering ones was extremely noticeable until fully feathered.

I will post some pictures later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:36 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Thanks for the update. :thumbs:

Did you end up taking those other pics?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:15 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

sorry, been rather busy running around juggling chickens, dogs, 4month old and study!

This is the slow feathering cockerel. He has only just started to crow at 23 weeks [compared to the fast feathering who was crowing at 10 weeks!].

This is the fast feathering pullet. She is yet to start laying.

I no longer have the fast feathering cockerel. He was crowing at 5am [not good in the suburbs] and did not have any evidence of a crest or muff, so he became dinner for a captive eagle.

In my very uneducated knowledge of chickens, I have come to the conclusion that the Aras I hatched came from two different strains, one which feathers up faster than the other.