Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Am I a rooster or hen ?? need help

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:10 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

That's amazing Ruff, great photos fantastic :thumbs: . So if you do get a henny rooster my question would be can I breed from her ? will she lay eggs again ?

what I found interesting was the fact the Caladendia did say that her Henny rooster actually went back being a hen within a season which was very interesting.

Has anybody else experience anything like Caladendia? Ruff might have some info here ..it sure would be interesting what you think ? if they actually return being normal hen when you introduce a rooster meaning if they return laying eggs and breeding?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:34 pm 
hen feathering is a dominant gene. the most common breeds with it are the campine and the sebright. the birds are male but hormones in the skin make the feathers go henfeathered and not normal rooster feathered...that is to make a long story short.

these roosters will never lay eggs and are usually quite normal roosters in every way. i am using the gene to make a pekin as beautiful as a sebright but i am also playing with it in other breeds just for fun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:48 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Yes, genetic is a wonderfull thing..it's great to here that you are working on different type of feather colour in a Pekin Bantam . Seeing your photos I'm probably leaning more on the hen side of things.
What I referring to was a hen that's takes the charaterstics of a rooster will she be able to breed and lay eggs when introduce to a mature rooster? As Caladenia stated when she introduced a rooster the hen lost her charaterstics of a rooster and returned being a normal hen the following season.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:32 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi,

I had a 'dominant' Pit Game hen who used to 'round up' and peck the other girls (and also people!) - she would do the 'wing-down' shuffle, just like the rooster; make the rooster 'took-took-took' noises to call the other hens to food; crowed a few times; and continued to lay eggs - all whilst co-habiting with the resident rooster. She got on well with all the others, despite being 'different' - she wasn't aggressive, just top of the pecking order. She would go broody, too, at times. She was basically second-in-charge to the rooster in the flock.

I think it may be an individual thing as to how 'roosterish' they can get. You hear many stories about hens with rooster behaviour, and they all seem to behave slightly differently. Enjoy your 'special' girl (or boy!).

Cheers, Onyx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:59 am 
you are going to have to research the anatomy of a bird. from memory the hen has only one ovary and one fallopian tube, the other i think maybe undeveloped male organs. i am not sure if it can turn into the testies and whether thay could ever function.

the feathering of a hen is the feathering produced by female hormones . the rooster i believe if he is castrated (caponized) looses his ability to make testosterone and reverts to hen feathering. if a hen is given testosterone her feather become rooster feather. now this is only from memory and i have a thumping headach today so am not going to look through the books i am sure it can be googled.

to sum it up i feel this hen will never be a fertile male as the hormones are not right, she would need to be rooster feathered for a start i feel which would indicate she may have functing testies. the hen feathering i have is caused from a totally different set of circumstances. there is a lotmore to this and it is not simple and not my field so do not hold me to any of this......do not believe what i have written as i am only struggling with a vague memory.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:50 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

as ruff has stated the hen feahtering gene is different from physiological changes which result from change in hen to rooster behaviour.

there are soem serious causes of this, a cancer of the reproductive organs, which is not so good an outcome. in the case of mother hen (my birds name) i doubt it was a cancer thing as she DID lay eggs again, after the introduction of the mature rooster.

there was a juvenile rooster that grew up after she had started to take on male characteristics, and she didn't respond to him at all, but went all girlish again, and as i said lost the significant male featrues she had developed. i can only put it down to the addition of hte mature rooster as that was the only thing that changed, and, she laid a few eggs again. at this ti me she was about 8 years old, and went on to live to 14 years of age.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:05 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Any eggs yet? Update would be appreciated to finalise Index listing. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:21 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

After introducing a young cockerial to the flock believe it or not it went back being a hen ... Yes ..she is a hen after all,lol.

I think it went through that stage due to being the alpha female decided she would look like a rooster but after all she is a hen... :D

Claude.