Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Silver-Grey Dorking - boys or girls?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:26 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

These are my chicks hatched yesterday and today. The four along the top are silver-grey dorkings. I believe the markings on the head are larger and clearer on the girls, so I'm guessing I have 3 girls, and a little boy on the right. What do you think?

The bottom ones are Orpingtons, and I think I'll have to wait for some feather and comb growth before I can tell them apart.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:28 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I've used that method sexing dorking chicks too, and it works, but I'm never 100% convinced until the 3-4 week age range when they get their chest feathers. I'd agree though! It looks like you've got 3 girls and a boy.

The differences aren't as strong in dorkings I've seen here in Australia, but this website is handy for that kind of thing: http://www.feathersite.com//Poultry/CGD/Dorks/BRKDorks.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:49 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Thanks for the link. Some beautiful birds on that page.

Please tell me about the chest feathers - I see that's at the bottom of the page, but it doesn't really explain what to look for. Is it just that the girls have more of a variety in colour, and the boys are the same colour all over?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:01 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Just look at the wing pin feathers'
short feathers cocks,longer pin feathers
pullets. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:04 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

The boys will have black, and a bit of white mottled kinda look.. and the girls only will have brown/red in the chest. It's usually pretty easy to tell the difference by that time. :) Enjoy them at the cute fluffy stage! They grow up so fast. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:04 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

macar, I tried the wing feather method. I can't see anything but fluff, on ANY of them :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:53 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

shaz68 wrote:
macar, I tried the wing feather method. I can't see anything but fluff, on ANY of them :D

Have another look today,grab a chicken & sped its wing & look at the flights
you should see a difference in the feathers.I do 60 to 140 a week. :biggrin: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:36 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

macar, I just tried it again, and this time had no troubles finding their wing feathers. The two lighter ones have both long and short feathers, and the three dark ones (two shown, plus the last one to hatch who didn't arrive in time for the family pics) all have short feathers. So popular opinion seems to be that we have two girls and three boys, though I understand if they are bred the other way (fast feather grown in male rather than female) it means I've got three girls and two boys.

Can anyone say what are the next signs to be looking for, with both breeds, and at about what ages? I'd suspect it'd be more feather growth, but where, and what means boy vs girl?

I'm not going to be re-homing any of them for a few months, so in the meantime I'm intending to enjoy finding all the different methods of sexing, and see if they all agree each time :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:36 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

The next stage will be tail feathers.Now I know nothing about
Dorkings,so I will leave the prediction to some one else. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:40 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Tail feathers in a rooster will grow faster, in Orpingtons? Or have I got it the wrong way around? And how long would it normally take before I would be able to see a distinction?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:06 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

The chicks are just under a week old now, and I noticed for the first time today that some of them have very long and visible wing feathers growing out. ALL of the dorkings have them - I can't really see a difference between the boys and girls as far as length. But with the orpingtons, only the two that I identified as girls with the wing feather method have them. The three little ones I thought were boys still only have fluff showing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:03 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Here are some new pics of my Dorkings, @ 4 1/2 weeks.

I've definitely got 2 girls and 1 boy, and I'm pretty certain the other one (of course, the one I didn't get a good picture of) is a girl as well. She doesn't have near as much brown on her chest as these two, but she has a little, and nothing like the dark grey of the boy.

Kicked all the mums out of the pen today so we could hand feed the little ones. They took a bit of persuading, but eventually they were all over us (except one or two who remained shy). Who can say no to mealworms? :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:11 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Awesome. :D Love the pics! I love how dorkings are so easy to tell their sex so quick. We had one last time that could have gone either way, even at 5 weeks old.. I can't remember for the life of me if it turned into a boy or a girl now! :lol: