Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Pekin Bantam - what sex? UPDATED: cockerel

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:25 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hello to all of you very helpful BYP folk.

I am trying to get conformation as it will be going back to the breeder if it is indeed a cockerel.

I've had this little pekin for around 2 weeks, in quarantine with an older pullet and a younger pullet that look to me like definite girls.
This one's comb/face/wattles are developing quite noticeably different to the other two, and it's also got a bit of an attitude towards the others.
I wasn't given an exact age, somewhere between 12-14 weeks.
These are the first pekins I've had, so I'm not certain what their feather development is supposed to look like - this one seems to have some beetle green sheen in the tail, and I think the neck feathers are a bit shiny too.

I took these yesterday evening, it was 33C at 7pm, so the little guy was a bit hot - only gaping from the heat.

Attachments:
pekin3 (640x513).jpg
pekin3 (640x513).jpg [ 201.23 KiB | Viewed 6575 times ]
pekin2 (512x640).jpg
pekin2 (512x640).jpg [ 225.04 KiB | Viewed 6575 times ]
pekin1 (640x512).jpg
pekin1 (640x512).jpg [ 231.08 KiB | Viewed 6575 times ]

Last edited by Moss on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:24 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I think it's a pullet, but I'm very new with Pekins too, just hatched out 7, they are now 4 weeks old, and it's very easy to see at that age.

The roos comb and wattle is red and the pullets are yellow, but it's easier also if you have other chicks to compare it with.

Also, have a look at "show us your Pekins" thread, and compare roosters to pullets photos, it might give you more clue of what you have.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8010576

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:06 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Another place you may find relevant comparison pics is in our INDEX. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:50 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks guys, I have looked through all of the pekin sexing posts I could find, but still don't think that I can call this by myself.

In this thread, http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7967426 ,the last picture is representative of the difference in combs between the three birds I have - my brown red pekin is comparable to the blue red in that discussion. They all called it a cockerel, that's why I'm a worried mine is too.

We picked this pekin out of a bunch because it had the most round seemingly feminine look, there was several other definite roo's in the mix - but they were from 3 different age groups, so it was always a possibility.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:52 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

You may have to be a little more patient then. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:08 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Yeah, I suppose I will. I just had to send back my fave blue Australorp that turned out to be a late blooming roo, was hoping to catch this one early before we got too attached or the crowing started! :laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:47 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I've read here somewhere people had pekin roos that started to crow at just 4 weeks old, so fingers crossed, you do actually have a pullet.

Still waiting on the first crow from my suppose to be 2 pullet wyandottes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:06 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

On that note: When do pekins usually stop cheeping and start clucking? My two smaller ones are still cheeping, while the older pullet (different breeder, was told 3-4 months old) is making quite a few different clucking sounds, with the odd cheep thrown in. The older pullet is double the size of the brown red too...I will try to get some better pics up for comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:24 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

here are my just over 4 week old pekins, definitely can see the difference between a roo and a pullet:

A roo:

A pullet:

Notice the red wattle on the roo vs the yellow wattle on the pullet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:19 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks Longy. It's been so stormy here that I haven't been able to get photos of them all. Will try again once it's cleared up.
I've just read that the clucking starts at around 16 weeks, so I guess my older pullet is 4 months, I'll note when the other two start clucking to know their approx age.

I'm really enjoying my new pekins, so I hope you're right and I wont have to send this one back - husband picked it out and is quite taken with it's attitude!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:25 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm just a beginner at sexing chickens, so please don't send this one back to the breeder based solely on my opinion.

I see those hackle feathers and think cockerel. Let us know when you confirm the sex?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for your opinion Maybe_Factor. At this stage I'm leaning towards cockerel.
I have to apologize for the iphone photography - I thought taking pictures of the dogs was difficult until I tried it with chickens. :aaargh:

I tried to capture the wet look of some of it's feathers.
This to me means a definite boy - am I just seeing things? Do hens get those super shiny feathers too?
Attachment:
shinyfeathers (640x427).jpg
shinyfeathers (640x427).jpg [ 215.64 KiB | Viewed 6448 times ]

Comparing the cuckoo with the suspected cockerel.
The cuckoo was starting to cluck when we got her, so I'm guessing 16 weeks. I'm not sure if she's 100% pekin, as the breeders birds were huge, though still looked round and fluffy in all the right places. SHe has one neck feather coming in that is dark brown too.
Attachment:
mrscluckhenri.jpg
mrscluckhenri.jpg [ 224.46 KiB | Viewed 6448 times ]

I caught the last second of the brown red flaring at the buff.
It also jumps up pushing it's legs forward on occasion - another reason I suspect cockerel.
Attachment:
pekinsfaceoff.jpg
pekinsfaceoff.jpg [ 225.46 KiB | Viewed 6448 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:51 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

It is either a late maturing boy or a pullet with a bigger comb , mine were a lot easier to tell apart than yours the others with it are pullets . I'd be leaning towards a pullet at this stage.just because of the lack of redness and the smallish wattles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:06 am 
Great Game
Great Game

You have a cockerel there by my assessment. Watch the feathers growing on the saddle they should start to come with pointed ends and look quite glossy. Compare them with your little buff which appears to be a pullet about the same age.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:57 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Some cockerels give themselves away early whilst some develop later. You could have a late cockerel or a pullet with good development, it's hard to tell I'm afraid.

I have had the odd Pekin cockerel crow at 5 weeks, and others not crow until 12 weeks or older.

Sorry I can't be of more help; time will tell.