Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Mixed Dozen - Cleanskins - New pics 11 August 2013

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:20 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

A bit disappointing for you top find 5 males in your "sexed and sold as pullets" - or is that what is meant by "mixed dozen" equal number of both sexes? :laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:35 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

The mixed was unknown breeds & ages, the "sexed as pullets" assertion was accepted with more than a grain of salt. :-P I would still have bought them & really for chicks from anywhere but a large hatchery I wouldn't have expected a "pullets only" sale. It looks like I'll have 4 lovely girls, 2 buff somethings & 2 Barnevelders coming along to help out the oldies with egg production.

Only one of my two POLs (Bond commercial hybrid Black) is laying so far but the other shouldn't be far behind. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:12 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Moved the girls (and possible boy) outside today. They have had a hoon & play around and are now cheeping a bit. The boys in the separate tractor are also cheeping in response. (I have left Smudge the young Muscovy in the same pen for now - he is off his legs after being beaten up by the old Muscovy females and is getting some extra care at the moment.) About to go and check on them & then I can clean up the living room where they have been until now. :-P

The Ancona may be a cockerel, if so he is a bit of a runt. Or perhaps he is a bantam? Two Barnevelder pullets and I'm not sure of breed (s?) of the two reddish ones. The bigger girl is more loosely feathered or blousy, lighter in colour & has white legs. The darker deeper red one has yellow legs and I think they are not the same breed or mix of breeds.
The following 3 pics are stills, as these two pullets were getting out of the carry cage, that show the colour of of the undersides of wings of each of them, differences in leg colour and feathers , respectively.

:-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:48 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The reds could be crosses or backyard purebreeds. Hard to say.

The one on the left with yellow legs could be a backyard rhode island red that is lighter than usual. It's too red and finer featured to be a buff sussex.

It's possible the one on the right is a buff sussex, probably a cross. It has the white legs, the hint of hackling and the chunkier look about it. I doubt it is pure. I agree with rj that it should have more hackling by that age, although even pures can produce poor ones. It could also be a cross between a light sussex and something else that's red.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:50 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Left one possibly an RIR x Isa, we did a few of those a few years back, similar in colour, but also could be just a lighter RIR as C07 said.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:14 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Thanks for the comments. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:59 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Update: Four pullets is all I ended up with. The Ancona in with the pullets is a cockerel.

The Silkie cross is in the cockerel pen and I believe that it is male. I don't know why I'm still feeding that lot grower crumbles and will have to make a re-homing-type decision very soon.

Four nice pullets:

The later maturing Ancona cockerel in the pullet pen:

The Silkie Cross in the cockerel pen:
It is holding its own against the bigger boys but gets left on the floor when the others roost on their saw horse. If I'm around the shed in the evening he gets a lift up. :-) If there is any possibility this isn't a male I might keep it - quite a little character.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:03 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Are you sure the silkie is a cockerel Cackles?

Thanks for the update. How old are they now?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:09 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

mmmmm the shape of the silkie crest suggests it may be a girl. could you do photos of its crest front/side on nad its comb front on? it is not uncommon to have red combed silkie crosses.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:07 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Yes, Jacquie I can try to get those - or await crowing. I was mainly going on that the crest looked more swept back in earlier pics but I'm less sure now than I was. It was just a last minute addition to round out the dozen & was already in the mixed cage at the store.

Redjohanna - at purchase 12 May 2013, I guessed that ages ranged from a few days to no more than a couple of weeks - so roughly 3 months old now. Quite a bit of moulting at the moment but the sub-adult moults are over a fair age range as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:50 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi cackles, I'm with Caladenia on the silkie cross.
I would expect the comb to be much larger at 3 months.Hope it's a girl anyway!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:35 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

I took some pics today. I think you may change your mind. ;-)

The rusty bits are not going to wash off - there are more feathers of that colour coming through particularly at base of back of neck and on shoulders. Goodness only knows what the other parent breed(s) is reflected. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:11 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Love those head shots! I know absolutely nothing about Silkies - but I'd say it's a boy. Handsome young fella too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:53 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

could it be a sultan cross??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:09 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

mmmm oh dear, streamers, a boy, you do get to know your own stock, and a down fall of pics. thanks for taking hte time to post these.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next