Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Stupid question right? Slap me

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:59 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

So I have this chook.
Supposedly a purebred SLW pullet but I'm preeeeeeety sure I was taken for a ride.
I will add I purchased as a chick that was apparently vent sexed. I have already been told it's likely a cross and has very poor lacing but those things really don't worry me as they're pets.

So slap me if you wish but please confirm this is indeed a rooster?
I am secretly hoping for someone to say girl so I can keep him :(

While we are here would you mind some gender advice for my frizzles please?

Thankyou in advance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:17 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Wyandotte is a rooster. Frizzles are all cross breds and don't represent the frizzle breed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:21 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi There
Don't need to slap you, you bought in good faith.
Did you buy them as Pures? If so "Sorry not the case"
Slap the person you bought them off.. NO don't do that it might back fire...
BUT if you paid for a pullet I tell my clients if it turns out a Roo bring it back...
In saying that not everyone that sells birds has enough experience but I say "Get the knowleadge before you advertise"
Sooo I am thinking (sorry to say it) but first birdie looks like a "Roo to me"
Frizzles I am not familiar with but looking at the comb etc look like Pullets
Good Luck
:^

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:40 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Yes Andy the frizzles are all crossed. Black is supposed to be silkie, White is araucana and grey she wasn't sure. I was more after their gender.

Thank-you fluffy chicken. I am so very attached to all of them and I do not know how I will handle letting go of the roo. My kids are all very much in love with him also. The breeder was highly recommended, had quite a professional set-up and sells a very large number of birds. So silly me trusted her and even viewed the supposed flock this particular roo was bred from. They were all gorgeous birds with very nice lacing etc. (to a beginners eye at least). They do all come with the return policy however I will be returning a 4 month old bird and she can only give me a 2 week old chick in return. :( how do I even integrate such a young chick into these girls now?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:15 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

The silver laced is a cockerel, but he looks pretty pure to me, and I would guess his sisters would be reasonably well laced.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:11 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

blucalypt wrote:
The silver laced is a cockerel, but he looks pretty pure to me, and I would guess his sisters would be reasonably well laced.

Is all the white on his back normal? Of all the SLW roo's I have seen they've all still had beautiful lacing on their backs. The brown colour coming out on his head and tail, they are sure fire tell tale signs of roo yes?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:14 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Actually upon some quick googling I think maybe I am just expecting a bit much from him so young. It seems the feathers on his back become covered up with age.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:43 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Laced variety's in cockerels don't get lacing on their backs like a female does as I am sure you are working out.
Here is a not very good photo of a silver laced pullet breeding cockerels back etc.

Attachment:
SLWC1.JPG
SLWC1.JPG [ 181.12 KiB | Viewed 2911 times ]

The main lacing is on their breast.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:25 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank-you! Looking at your bird I see the hackle feathers cover the white. So in time with age so will my boys. His chest looks beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:30 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

The way you purchased him brings up an interesting topic anyway - there seems to be a proliferation of backyard breeders now advertising "vent sexed" chicks. Who & how are they being "vent sexed".
To the best of my knowledge chicks needs an internal examination to determine sex - traditionally done by a professional chicks sexer, who would do this as a living.
Anyone have any ideas on who is doing the sexing, what method they are using & how to find them?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:23 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

OT sorry, but what is a frizzle breed? I thought it was a dominant feather mutation that could be in any breed.

Andy Vardy wrote:
Wyandotte is a rooster. Frizzles are all cross breds and don't represent the frizzle breed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:51 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

If you follow this link and click on page 121, it will show you the British Poultry standard for frizzles. basically clean legs, single comb, no crests, beards or muffs etc and red face comb wattles and eyes. There are a couple of breeds that have in more recent years standardised frizzle plumage as a separate variety which makes it even more confusing.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=nAf ... 21&f=false

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:48 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Grayzie wrote:
OT sorry, but what is a frizzle breed? I thought it was a dominant feather mutation that could be in any breed.

Andy Vardy wrote:

There is both the feather mutation that can occur in any breed AND a standard recognised breed called the Frizzle.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:11 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

see I just breed backyard quality chooks, not show quality, but when I sell them I always make sure I correctly state the breed and if it is a cross breed I always state what the cross is etc. But I have been selling chooks with frizzly feathers as frizzles. My hen that I breed from is actually a sizzle (silkie dad, frizzle mum) but I am not sure the gene pool of the original frizzle, the mum of my hen. I do say in my ads that my chicks are frizzle x bantam silver laced wyandotte so hopefully that makes it clear that I am not trying to pretend my frizzles are the recognised standard show breed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:33 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi There "Grayzie"
Question for you :read Your Frizzle/Silkie cross bird that is called Sizzle.
WAIT FOR IT :nuts :nuts
Is it's nickname "Sausage" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
In regards the lady thought bought the birds relating to this thread.
I too breed crosses as well as Purebred Large Black Australorps and I always always tell people if they are only after backyarders and dont want to pay the bigger dollar for the Australorps that they are crosses, for instance Large Black Australorp/Brown Barnvelder cross.
It is a minority of people who knowingly sell birds that are suppose to be Pures and they are not that spoil it for us honest ones.
Swap the adult bird for a baby HELLOOOO I don't think so...
I would have refunded the full price if it was sold as a pullet and was not as I thought.
The other adult birds would probably kill it... one little chicken on its own is going to fret anyway...
I don't know I just don't get some people :hiding