Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What is this cross breed? (video attached)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:44 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Hello everyone.

This is Effie. She is the reason I fell in love with chickens. She has a funny personality, is very talkative and soft, spongy and cuddly like a soft toy when you pick her up. I would love to have a garden full of chooks exactly like her.
I saved her from my neighbour 1 year ago who was getting 'rid' of all their chooks. I really want to know what breed she is most likely to be. I'm guessing silkie cross due to her black skin, crest and fluffy feet.
At first I thought she might be pekin/silkie but I think she's too big to be pekin cross? She's a bit smaller than my Isa Browns. I saw a photo online of a chicken that looked very much like her and it was a silkie / cochin cross.
Is that a possibility?
What does everyone think? If I knew what she was I would try to breed some like her. She also has the best tasting eggs out of ALL my chookies.

(I've got a couple of photos and video but don't know how to download them here altogether from photobucket so need to do it individually.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:47 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

She was sick with a respiratory infection in the above photo so here is another one (she's fine now thank goodness)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:53 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

And here is a video of her big fluffy butt. She is so funny when she runs across the garden with her big bottom and fluffy feet.
She's a lovely blue/black colour too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:58 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Looks a lot like australorp in her so guessing australorp X silky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:18 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Oh wow thanks for that Canna Kid. I never would have thought of that. I'm not familiar enough with the characteristics of different breeds so I was hoping someone might be able to see something that I don't.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:45 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

But aren't australorps clean legged? I must admit I thought orp x silkie (well bantam orp :laughing ) then I saw the legs and I thought pekin x silkie purely because a cochin x silkie sounds so unlikely, size wise, although she does look a lot like a cochin! Whatever she is, she is completely adorable and I can see why you fell in love. She has the most beautiful eye, gentle like an orpington, and with a good colouring too. You do have the most beautiful girls and thanks for putting her up :-D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:50 pm 
Ol' Bustard
Ol' Bustard

The first impression that I got looking at her was that she was a Silkie-Australorp cross.

Linz :)

[i]A lot of Andalusians. Anconas in Standard and Bantam PB Black Leghorns in Standard
and Bantam, Derbyshire Redcaps, Light Sussex Bantams.
[/i]
____ __ _______ _ _ _ ______ _ ________ _ _ _ _____

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:58 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

yep, definitely a silkie cross, will make a supurb broody hen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:36 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

silie x Pekin would be my bet,

Ron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:29 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

i was thinking silkie x pekin but i am not sure. super cute!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:36 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

I think a silkie cross pekin, several tiems down as the recessive single comb is showing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:51 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Not sure about Silkie x Pekin, as it has a very prominent tail. Definitely Silkie X though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:58 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I really appreciate everyones input. I've been dying to know what she is but I guess if her parents were a cross themselves there is no way I could replicate her look and type.

Initially I also thought pekin/silkie but she's almost the size of my Isa Brown. Also she has pointed tail feathers as well as the round fluffy pekin type tail.
Here are a few more facts about her in case in points to a particular breed :

She tolerated the scorching heat last summer better than my entire flock (my silkies and pekins did it tough)
She gets a bit cold in winter though.
I've never seen her fly.
She hasn't been broody since I've had her. A bit of clucky noises once when she sat on some eggs for a bit but that's all.
The neighbours thought she was 3 or 4 years old but couldn't be sure and couldn't track down who they got her from.
She went through a bad moult earlier in the year and hasn't laid an egg for quite some time. Otherwise I would try breeding her with my silkie rooster.
Her eggs are an off white/cream colour and taste magnificent.

Caladenia what did you mean by a cross 'several times down?'.

P.S. just read your post as I was about to submit this Andy - yes I was confused about the tail too !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:02 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi
I am looking at your girl and wondering "Is there some Polish Crested in there, huge crest for a silky...
Just a thought :huh?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:14 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Hhhmmm fluffychicken no I don't think there is any Polish in there. I saw a photo once of a Polish Silkie cross and it looked nothing like her. It was absolutely gorgeous though.

Just to confuse the issue even more this is a photo of Mildred who came from the same place as Effie. She has a crest, fluffy feet, the same comb as Effie but white skin and a completely different body shape. I was hoping one of the same breed might have been used for both to shed some light but it doesn't seem so.

I'm doing an 'experiment' to try and breed Effies for my own please because I absolutely love her. Like I said, she is the reason I became obsessed with chickens. I have some fertile eggs from my silkie rooster crossed with my pekin hen currently under my broody. I cant wait for them to hatch (I hope they do!) to see if there are any Effie look alikes amongst them as they grow out.

Those of you that suggested she might have Australorp in her certainly got me thinking.
I was looking at some photos of Australorps and there were some quite similar to her body shape, round tail with pointed feathers, angular pointy wings and big fluffy butt.
I might have to get some Australorps from the Bacchus Marsh auction tomorrow to continue my quest of producing Effies ;-)

Perhaps one of Effies parents was a silkie/pekin cross and the other was an Australorp?

Here is a photo of her buddy Mildred.