Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Pekin chick, not sure on color. :)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:36 pm 

Hi, my 11y old son has just started breeding Pekin's. So far he has hatched 6 blue mottled chicks but today we have two of this color. It's light blue with a bit of white on the tummy the second photo is of his flock

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.92 MiB | Viewed 3217 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 2.72 MiB | Viewed 3217 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:56 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I would say blue ( probably from your splash boy over black hen )
The birds look in great health and very pleased you have your 11 year old interested in poultry . ( without the young ones there is no future for the fancy )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:45 pm 

Hi Martin, that makes sense. I think he got mixed up because the eggs they hatched from all had Soccer-boots written on them which is the buff hen, she must have just been keeping them warm. :) also we expected blue to be darker but when you look at the pin feather on the wing, it's coming in much darker. Thanks so much, I told him what you said about his flock being healthy and he was glowing with pride. Thanks, Nikki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:29 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

The thing with blue it can range from very light in colour to very dark and nearly black .
Have you thought about letting the young bloke show his birds ? They certainly look good enough to do that . Most shows have junior classes and is very easy to enter . Depending on where you are there should be shows starting in a few months.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:43 am 

Well yes, his plan was to spend his life savings on top Quality stock to breed with so he could make some extra pocket money and get to spend all his spare time with his favourite animal. So we went to the Mudgeeraba show (Gold Coast) to have a look at what breeds he liked. He fell in love with Pekins and Plymouth rocks. After a couple of bad experiences we found some reputable breeders and he brought six Pekins , a pair of lightbar Plymouth Rocks and an incubator. He loved the show and Decided to try get the birds ready on time for the Gold Coast which he did, thanks to one of the local breeders teaching him how to present his birds, he won 1st and 2nd in the Jr soft feather bantom. He was very concerned about leaving his birds at the show so he stayed most the days and got to help out the stewards which was the coolest thing ever and he learnt so much. He is VERRY excited about next show season especially because he will be presenting some of his own stock that he bred. This chicken thing is very contagious, as a few of his friends and now saving to get chickens as well.
He is also trying to help fined homes for rescued battery hens by doing up posters and documenting there road to recovery. It's such a great hobby for children, I have to drag him inside every night. :wee

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 940.65 KiB | Viewed 3134 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:54 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

That is really good to hear and he obviopusly has a love for the birds ( rescue work ;-) )
The light Rocks are a very good choice ( It is nice to see them around and they are something a bit diffferent .)
It is doubtful that he will make his fortune with the birds ( as most on here will agree I am sure )
Best he stays to only a couple of breeds at first . A lot of young people starting off like everything they see and end up not doing any of them justice with breeding .
Having said that I have contacts for breeds that are considered very rare and only too please to help him where I can .
Mart

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:17 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Blue, offspring of your splash rooster over the black or black mottle hen. Very cute. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:29 pm 

Thanks, shairlyn. He is very excited about having blue to add to this flock.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:48 pm 

Martin, I think he will be very happy if he make enough money to cover feed costs. On the subject of the Plymouth rocks. My son is wondering if his rooster is two small and if he should not be breeding with him. He is from a very large show rooster but it looks like he will not reach a good size himself. Does that mean that his chicks will be small as well, or could they throwback to his father's height. The hen is much heavier than The rooster, he's been crowing for about two months now.
He has only had two fertile eggs still to hatch from them so far. The breeder did say he would be small and gave him a good price for the pair.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.65 MiB | Viewed 3087 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 2.18 MiB | Viewed 3087 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:28 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Going by the tail feathers and the fact he has not been crowing for long he is still a "baby " Heavy birds take much long to reach peak size . He might be a little small BUT he will grow and fill out a bit yet . He has good yellow legs . The pullet lacks a bit there BUT she is also laying which won't help with leg colour . Overall the black in both is probably a little wide( particularly the pullet )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:45 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Nisha,

Perhaps you'd like to start a separate thread in Breeds and Breeding just to get some feedback about the quality of your son's Plymouth Rocks. Some other members who are qualified to give good feedback may miss your questions in this thread titled regarding the colour of a Pekin chick. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:07 am 

Will do, thanks Cackles.