Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What Colour is the Silkie rooster?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:26 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Here is a Silkie rooster that I bred, and for a while now I've been wondering what his colour is....his Mum was partridge. I don't seem to be able to find any pictures of Silkies the same colour as him so I don't know if he is a 'proper' colour or if he's just patchy :-D

Attachments:
sm.jpg
sm.jpg [ 527.81 KiB | Viewed 1568 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 766.05 KiB | Viewed 1568 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:04 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Blue partridge?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:50 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

looks like a grey with rusty wings.

don't think he is blue partridge, he seems to have black in his wings. in a blue partridge, black bits are replaced by blue feathers, with no black.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:07 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I've gotten a grey rooster out of him recently, although he's running with grey hens so I thought that was where it came from....I had another rooster a little while ago that I purchased who was a proper grey, which is where the hens get their colour from. If this fellow is a form of grey too than maybe that explains all the greys I've been getting :-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:35 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

He looks like he could be a silver carrying gold. To my knowledge, silvers in silkies are the equivalent to a silver penciled soft feather, which is much the same as partridge genetically speaking but with silver instead of gold. If his mum was a partridge as you say, he would have picked up the gold gene there so he would have to be carrying gold (evident in the wings). I suspect his dad was a silver. If this is correct, you could put him with either a silver or a partridge hen and he would produce both silver and partridge hens as well as silver cockerels carrying gold (like your guy), silver cockerels (not carrying gold) and partridge cockerels.

Pullets get only one gene for colour which comes from dad (only one chromosome in females) and cockerels get a combo from mum and dad (because they have 2 chromosomes). So a silver male over a gold (partridge) female will give silver pullets and silver cockerels carrying gold (silver is dominant over gold which is why they come out looking mostly silver and also why it is referred to as silver carrying gold rather than gold carrying silver). A gold (partridge) male over silver female produces gold pullets and silver cockerels carrying gold (same appearance and genetic makeup as the silver over gold cross). Obviously silver over silver produces all silver and same with gold. When you have a boy that is carrying both silver and gold, it's a bit of a lucky dip. If you were to put him in a trio with a silver hen and a partridge hen, the pullets could inherit a silver or a gold gene from dad (dominance doesn't come into it) but for the cockerels, half of them will be silver carrying gold, a quarter will be silver (pure) and the other quarter will be gold (partridge). The pure silver cockerels would come from the silver hen (if chance permits a silver gene to be inherited from dad) and the partridge cockerels would come from the partridge hen and a gold gene from dad.

I hope this all makes sense. Quality of penciling is a whole other story though. Probably not the sort of bird an exhibitor would use but may produce a variety of pretty birds for pets. Good luck.

Shane.