Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Unusual Silkie hen colour

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:11 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi, Everyone! :hiya:

First time I've been back for a loooong time! Glad to be back! And love the new changes! :-P Anywayss.....
I have my first Bearded Silkie Hen, "Mohair", whom I purchased some months back now and have had great difficulty trying to find out what colour she is no matter where I search on the Internet. :read She's not quite a year old yet. Anyone know what colour this is? :hmmm:
I would really appreciate people's input. It will be interesting to see if people agree on the same colour or not! :-D

Cluckin' away!
ChickyChooky

Attachments:
File comment: "Mohair" 150901
2015-09-01_19.37.31[1].jpg
2015-09-01_19.37.31[1].jpg [ 2.89 MiB | Viewed 929 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:15 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

I think she looks blue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:37 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

caladenia wrote:
I think she looks blue

Thanks, Caladenia. A blue? But in ordinary terms, she is a greyish brown colour! Oh, wait... A Blue Laced Red Wyandotte has this colour in their lighter sections. that's considered a Blue. Didn't think of that. A Blue Hen can be a really light blue colour or stealy grey colour and still be a "Blue". The fact that she was this light foggy brown colour, all I could think of was "Brown"! Now, I feel a little silly. :doh Though, I still can't get over the fact that in general non-chicken terms, she's a light brown all over! :roll: Blue, ChickyChooky! Blue!
The more I think on it, yeah, of course! It's that Dilution gene all over again. I wish I knew what her parents were! Can anyone guess as to what colour her parents might have been to get this? (..... One question answered raises another one! :think:)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:26 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Lots of mingling of different colours there. I can see blue in the flights, gold in the crest and beard as well as other spots and also some white. My guess is perhaps a splash partridge that is not very well patterned. Perhaps the result of crossing a blue and a blue partridge. BUT.......

To raise another question.......are you sure she's a she? Females can't carry silver and gold but males can and there is a couple of reasons why i ask.

Male partridge are not marked the same as females, males will usually have a reddish wing band on the shoulder that i see evidence of and also the comb looks very male like. If it is a male, it may be a silver carrying gold blue partridge which would explain the white (silver) front and the gold back and crest as well as the blue bits. At that age though i would expect it to be laying or crowing.

There is also the possibility that (if it's a she) she is the result of a silver boy over blue partridge girl. This would create silver girls that may carry autosomal red but i don't think that would produce that colour in the crest.

Thoughts Caladenia?

I have added a pic of a group of splash partridge and blue partridge to show the variation that you can get. The splash ones have the combination of blue, gold and white but they vary a lot. Many of these also carry the Cha gene which gives them a blue or black crest but they should have a gold crest.
Attachment:
P8010193.JPG
P8010193.JPG [ 1.59 MiB | Viewed 902 times ]

Shane.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:39 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

DottesnSilk wrote:
Lots of mingling of different colours there. I can see blue in the flights, gold in the crest and beard as well as other spots and also some white. My guess is perhaps a splash partridge that is not very well patterned. Perhaps the result of crossing a blue and a blue partridge. BUT.......

To raise another question.......are you sure she's a she? Females can't carry silver and gold but males can and there is a couple of reasons why i ask.

Male partridge are not marked the same as females, males will usually have a reddish wing band on the shoulder that i see evidence of and also the comb looks very male like. If it is a male, it may be a silver carrying gold blue partridge which would explain the white (silver) front and the gold back and crest as well as the blue bits. At that age though i would expect it to be laying or crowing.

There is also the possibility that (if it's a she) she is the result of a silver boy over blue partridge girl. This would create silver girls that may carry autosomal red but i don't think that would produce that colour in the crest.

Thoughts Caladenia?

I have added a pic of a group of splash partridge and blue partridge to show the variation that you can get. The splash ones have the combination of blue, gold and white but they vary a lot. Many of these also carry the Cha gene which gives them a blue or black crest but they should have a gold crest.
Attachment:
P8010193.JPG

Goodness, Champion Bird! You had me worried for a moment there! I, certainly, don't need another Rooster! Then, I remembered that she has been regularly mated by my Black Silkie Rooster. I think I have her sister, "Cortesa", who after some recent research is, probably, also not an accepted colour. I'll get back to Cortesa in a moment. Anyway, back to Mohair. Thank you so much for your important comments, Champion Bird. Either Mohair or Cortesa, or both, have been regularly laying for quite some time now. So, it may be a possibility except that neither of these two have been behaving like the other males. They were all brought up together so the males get on reasonably well. I've got three Cockerals. A Black, "Diablo". A Splash, "Matos" (who has now started to develop some splashes of buff! Grrr! Pretty sure that's not suppose to happen!) and a Partridge, "Ebano". The Black one is the Dominant cockerel and is making sure that he stays that way! "Matos" & "Ebano" are still, occasionally, testing his dominance but back down very quickly. Whereas, Mohair and Cortesa, stick together like glue and keep their distance from the boys to a degree. Nevertheless, they, both, seem to welcome being mounted and, always, give themselves a good satisfied fluff-up after being mounted. Thus, the reason that I think these "sisters" are girls. This lot, I purchased last season from the same owner to replace my last Silkie flock which kept throwing 4 or 6 toes! I may not be showing but I just wanted to try to keep to the standard as close as possible. I've only accummulated 3 yrs of knowledge in the chicken world but as far as I can see, they have been behaving like typical hens. I agree... their combs are quite big for females! Those combs did have me questioning their sex as well. I was pretty sure that Diablo was male, but the owner was adamant that he wasn't. He was such a nice looking Black Silkie (well, so I thought, but could be wrong!) that I thought that even if I was right and he turned out to be a "he", I could just breed from him, see what I get and work out which boys to sell and keep afterwards.

I'm not sure about there being any white in Mohair as you thought. That might just be bad lighting on Mohair at the time of the shot. I'll just have to have a closer look at her tomorrow and look at those points you made if it's not raining too much. I'll reread your last post as well. It's 1.00 a.m., and I'm feeling a little foggy headed so will have to look at this tomorrow some time.

Sleep well, everyone. Thanks for all your advice. I appreciate it. Will get back to this tomorrow. So tired!!

Cluckin' Snorin'!
ChickyChooky