Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Silkie chicks - 4 weeks old. (Male/female?)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:15 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi BYP. I posted on here last year with 4 silkie chicks that I bought asking what sex they were. Turned out I had 2 boys 1 girl + (one died)
I kept the white male as he was lovely and he mated with my silver hen.

She hatched 4 chicks (8th Nov 2015). They are a gorgeous colour. White chests with speckled grey and white bodies, white pantaloons and bums.
I think out of the 4 chicks 3 are male and one female :pat I feel so upset and disappointed. I can't keep roosters and I also don't want roosters. So twice now I've had 4 chicks and twice I've come away with only one female :(
Here are some pictures of them. Please someone tell me that I'm wrong (I feel 99.9% sure 3 are males)
My thoughts:

One of these chicks is not like the others...
The one on the right has a much smaller comb on her head. The one on the left has a comb double the size.

I have include another photo with the above male and the other two chicks that I think are also males, below.
Here is a photo of the three that I believe to be male. Their combs are all the same size.

Also the one I think is female isn't as pretty as the other three. Her wing feathers end before her tail while the others wing feathers are alsmost to the tip of the tail feathers as in the below photo

Female on the left (not as pretty - more subdued colours) males on the right.

I only have 2 adult hens. I really want 4 - 6 hens and would particularly love some white ones but I am having THE worst luck with chicks. How can I possibly be this unlucky to get 1 out of 4 chicks female!!!

I need a hug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:34 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

:hug There you go! I am a lousy silkie sexer (and i keep silkies) but I tend to agree that you have 3 males. Don't despair - though I do at times over sex ratios! My last hatch was 4 chicks and I got three girls! My best result for silkies yet!