Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Not a Cuckoo Polish!!? Then, what? A Cuckoo Silver Polish?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:04 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi, everyone!

I've had a rather bad run with my chickens recently. Unfortunately, I lost 7 of my rare breeds to foxes. So sad. Happened on two different occasions both of which occurred after returning home after some distressing family news and missed putting away a few of my chickens. Definitely a fox. After my dogs started to bark in the middle of the night, I went to investigate and saw it's bushy tail fly right over my fence! I cried each time that night and the second time it happened. I just couldn't sleep a) feeling so guilty for not putting them away in their secure coops! b) they were my darling pets, not just chickens. :upset: :upset:

Now, I have additional alarms set up on my mobile to remind me and to check that I've put everyone to bed to ensure it doesn't happen again! The chickens aren't the only things that I have memory problems with!! Grrr! The joy of getting older!!

I lost "Shadow", my Grey Pekin;
"Duchess", Marans/Wyan-X who I had been treating for 4 wks for a rather bad case of Bumble Foot (a customer returned her to me in a really bad way. The poison had actually chewn through the bones of one of her toes! What did they expect after 3 wks of not doing anything for it! They said they weren't sure whether they should take her to the vet or not! Poor thing! At least, she's not suffering any more!);
"Merlina", my WC Blue/Silver Frizzle Polish;
"Cuckoo", my WC Cuckoo Silver(?) Polish;

Two weeks later, I lost 2x Silkies (same situ): "Crystal" (White), & "Mohair", (Blue Bearded Silkie).

:aaah!

Though poor "Frizzie", my WC Black Frizzle Polish, who was in shock for 3x days, appeared to have recovered, she just, suddenly, with no warning, died during the day 2wks later. I found her dead under a bush. There must've been something wrong internally. I had treated the two survivors with antibiotics for a couple of weeks and treated their wounds. There were only scratches on the birds faces. No other markings or cuts. Feathers were everywhere. So, besides the WC Polish Frizzle Rooster who was inside at the time, "Rena", my WC Splash Silver Polish is the only survivor. An incredible survivor considering she can only see out of one eye now and started laying again 3 days later!! :shoc Her right eye was the size of a golf ball after the attack and she was definitely in shock for a day. I kept her in the house for a day whilst Frizzie was kept inside for 3 days as she was definitely not her usual self. I treated Rena's eye for about 3 wks just in case. But, she, definitely can't see out of it even though it looks practically normal now.

Anyway, the life of a chicken and a chicken owner, I suppose! :roll: :oomm

I've done some research and can see that I should be able to acquire some decent WC Black SF Polish (fertile eggs) from somewhere. Anyone be able to recommend a quality breeder? :help: I've actually "fluked" hatching a "Cuckoo Frizzle Polish" but he's a much darker colour , more like a normal Barring. But after seeing Philippa Bowden's Cuckoo Polish on Facebook, I now know that is what the "Cuckoos" are supposed to be like. That's ok. I do like the colour.

What my problem is that I was told that "Cuckoo" was a WC Cuckoo Polish but the ones I've seen look more like Dark Barred Plymouth Rock variety as I stated above. So, I'm presuming that "Cuckoo" was, at a guess, a "Silver Cuckoo Polish"? She's the one I use as my Avatar. Can anyone confirm this variety? or, at least, tell me what variety she was? I would love to acquire another one like her. Does anyone know a good quality breeder for this variety? And whether she would sell me fertile eggs? I live in the Western Suburbs of Adelaide, South Australia. I'm hoping to acquire some fertile Polish eggs early next year before the season ends. :help:

I do hope someone can help. I would really, really appreciate it. :pray

Gee! I really miss my babies so much!

I think my favourite rare breed chickens are the Polish and the Silkies, even though, I do have some other rare breeds as well. People say that Polish are a little skittish but I don't find that at all! Especially if you give them just a little trim around the crest if necessary so they can see better! :biggrin: My Polish Rooster, "Silva", is an absolute sook. He loves his cuddles and having his earlobes stroked....... it nearly puts him to sleep every time! :rooll

So, in short, after my "little story" :rofl: (be glad that you didn't get the longer version!! :rofl: ), I'm looking for a quality breeder of A) WC Black Polish and B) WC Cuckoo Silver (?) Polish and C) What the heck is "Cuckoo's" variety actually called? :read

Attachments:
File comment: My late White Crested Cuckoo (?) Polish
Cuckoo_130208b.jpeg
Cuckoo_130208b.jpeg [ 9.8 KiB | Viewed 2352 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:33 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I am based in the UK and here your bird would certainly be called cuckoo, although admittedly she is paler than many. We do not have individually named colours, although I did used to have 2 dun cuckoo hens, which were a work in progress.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

MrsBiscuit wrote:
I am based in the UK and here your bird would certainly be called cuckoo, although admittedly she is paler than many. We do not have individually named colours, although I did used to have 2 dun cuckoo hens, which were a work in progress.

Thanks, MrsBiscuit. So I wasn't mislead then. I didn't think so. I'll have to call her a "Silver Cuckoo" then. It'll be interesting to see if I can breed the colour since I have a Cuckoo Roo and a Silver Roo. Only just thought of that. Only just learning a little about genetics in the chicken world. Certainly, no easy task! But, from what I've seen the higher percentage of the colour usually comes from the Roo depending on the colour, the background and whether it's dominant or not. Oooh! The variables!! :hmmm:

"Dun Cuckoo hens"? We have Buff Laced Polish chickens over here? I've seen some photos and they're gorgeous! But, I think that Laced varieties are a little different from the Cuckoos. Did you keep any photos?

Actually, I've just googled Cuckoo Polish and received lots of Photos confirming that she was a Cuckoo, as you said, MrsBiscuit. What I have also found out is that I was misinformed about calling my Roo a "Silver". When I googled "Silver Polish" all I found were the "Silver Laced Polish" whereas when I googled "Blue Polish", I found my the colouring of my Roo and Hen looking back at me. So, "Silva" is a WC Frizzle Blue Polish Roo and "Rena" is a "WC Blue Polish". Actually, no, I can't say that about Rena as, after 2-3 yrs, dark blue and dark grey feathers have just started appearing throughout her body. So she's a "WC Splash Blue Polish." After 3 yrs!! Surprise! Surprise! :eyegrow

Actually, MrsBiscuit, I'm from UK. :hiya: Born in London. Lived in Rhomford (spelling?) near Essex before coming over to Australia with the family when I was a little girl in 1965. Been here ever since.

Thank you for your input! :th

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:17 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

My bro emigrated to Australia about 15 years ago; he now has 2 Australian daughters :-D I love to visit!

I can't find my photos of the hens, they were probably the result of a crossing from something with 5 toes but as I was given them I don't precisely know the parentage. A couple of years ago, when chocolate orpingtons were all the rage, many of us (me included) got mixed up about what to call newly created/emerging 'brown' birds, but somebody put me straight, mine were definitely dun, not chocolate or khaki. It has to be said I didn't much like them, they were very bolshy, most unlike all the proper polands I've had, so I didn't pursue creating the new colour pattern as much as I could have done.

I think silver laced (and gold laced) polands are beautiful. The tight feathering shows off the pattern very well :-D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:50 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Yes. Us poms get around, don't we? ;-) Which state is your brother in?

Lucky you! Visiting, I mean! I'd love to visit my home country but, .... oh, too much to say and I'm tired. It's 2.00a.m. here. I gotta go to bed!!

Sounds like you did the right thing re your Dun Polish.

Chocolate Orps! Wow! Sounds lovely!

Yes. I like the Silver Lace and Gold Lace. I have two Wyandottes who are that colour. Well, the Gold Laced is really a Blue Gold Laced, but, unfortunately, not a very good example of one. Still pretty though. She's fostering a solo WC Polish (Blue, I think) chick atm. The breeds that are Frizzled with these Lacing varieties look like a completely different type of colouring because of the Frizzling. So, I agree with you that the Straight Feathered varieties definitely show the Lacing better. Though I still quite like the Frizzle effect.

Night! Night! And, thank you again for your help! Enjoy your day!
:countshp
ZZzzzzzzzzzz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:11 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

He is in Victoria - on the coast :-D

I have only been to WA, SA and Victoria - so far I like it around Adelaide and down the Fleurieu Peninsula best; although I also loved the remoteness of WA. I have spent quite a bit of time in Melbourne over the years, but I think I'm getting a bit old for it!

Its late Friday afternoon here, getting ready for a Friday night homemade beer tasting at a friends - its a bitter, which isn't really my drink, so I shall go armed with some wine!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:26 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

:th
I never said but nice chatting with you and hope 2015 was good to you!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MAY IT BE A WONDERFUL YEAR FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!
:blns