Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - ROOSTER OR HEN??

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ROOSTER OR HEN??
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:44 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi again all! I've got three pics of one of our chooks who is posing a condundrum for us. This chook is six months old, and used to run with a flock of two others. As far as we knew, in that flock, we had one hen and two roosters. We already have a rooster, so gave the two roosters away to someone who wanted two. But it appears that Toula could be Ricky or Forest, as he/she has started crowing. The only thing that stumps us is that there are no spurs on his/her feet. Yet, amongst the three pics I've put up in this post, there is one of him/her crowing.

A brief history of Toula/Ricky/Forest is that she disappeared for a couple of days after her two flock-mates were given away. We thought she might be grieving for the loss of her brothers and while we were smacking ourselves for being so stupid, we heard a flapping sound coming from the coop. The other chooks were all out and about, so my partner went up there and found her stuck between the brooder and the tin. It was pretty hot over those few days, and when Dwain brought Toula down, she was severely dehydrated and couldn't walk. We hand fed her and also dropped water down her beak. After a few hours, she was up and trying to walk. We put her up in the coop and kept a close eye on her. As the pics show he/she has come good now, but we're wondering if that period of dehydration has caused some slight brain damage (hence the possible name Forest). Who knows?

Anyway, I don't know if anyone can help identify this chook's sex for us, but the effort at crowing is happening more regularly, so this is why we are a wee bit confused!

Thanks in advance for any or all help!!

PS: Toula/Ricky/Forest has taken to following us around like a shadow as well, which is kinda cute!

Attachments:
ROOSTERorHEN2.jpg
ROOSTERorHEN2.jpg [ 159.7 KiB | Viewed 1599 times ]
ROOSTERorHEN3.jpg
ROOSTERorHEN3.jpg [ 178.16 KiB | Viewed 1599 times ]
ROOSTERorHEN.jpg
ROOSTERorHEN.jpg [ 160.37 KiB | Viewed 1599 times ]

Post subject: Re: ROOSTER OR HEN??
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:43 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

no eggs from him,

Ron

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:56 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Agreed, no eggs from him!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:42 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks so much Ron and Admin. It was the lack of spurs that confused us, so now his name will be changed to Forest. At least he doesn't attack our legs like our other rooster does, but rather, he'll jump up on a chair next to us and sit there like any old human lol!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:44 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Bad luck - definately Gump.
Spurs will happen but often not until after the first year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:01 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Looks like a rooster to me..notice saddle feathers and upright stance. Also the first photo looks like he is trying to crow (?). He is very handsome (:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:38 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks Sue55 and Wtara. We're not too worried if he's a rooster because so far, he's not acting aggressive; more like a pet considering we saved his bacon a few weeks ago lol! And he actually was crowing in that pic Wtar which is why I posted it up, but boy, does it sound PITIFUL compared to our other rooster hahaha. Other rooster is about 2 years old so guess lil Forest's vocal chords need more growth or something ... ?! In any case, it provides a lot of entertainment for us listening to it!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:54 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hmm - I do sympathise as currently we have possibly 5 out of the 8 new gals being boys ..some crowing and some just looking mighty "butch" if you know what I mean :)

On another note I do need to admire your lovely back yard and clean concrete and steps - I remember such cleanliness some months ago - pre youngsters in quarantine and chook poo all over our pavers. *sigh*

We are just waiting on the current three youngsters to join the main flock in 6 or so weeks, and we can clean our pavers with the new Karcher!!

Woo hoo! !!

Seriously we will not know ourselves those pavers are FILTHY (next door are demolishing so we have their dust as well as chookie detritus)

Will be posting my own chookie or hen photos soon Chooknewbie15!
It is that time of year when the boys are separated from the gals. I guess post Spring egg hatching fever :biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:08 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi TookTook (cute name)

Well our clean concrete is largely due to the fact that our chookies tend to stay around the back yard more often than not. They come around to the front now and then, but they also have a whole paddock to run in, so chook poo happens, but not that much! I hose it off about once a week too, because of spider webs and general dust and stuff, plus thirsty plants lol! Thanks for the compliment too by the way :)

We've got seven in our brood, three of them six week old chicks. One of them definitely looks like a rooster because he's already got spurs, which is why we were confused by Forest not having any at six months old! Our other rooster, Con, is a beautiful boy - very proud and upright. He's the most BOOTIFUL CHOOK IN THE COSMOS and we should've called him Fabio -just ask him!! Trouble with him is, he's a bit aggressive and likes to attack our legs and feet sometimes, especially mine which can be a problem! :aaah! I go armed with a broom, rake or pole so I can scoot him off, or I yell at him and he soon backs off. :yess

So long as these boys don't fight amongst themselves too much, we'll keep them all, although I think we might be dreaming! Forest seems to be running with the chicks now, so that might help things a bit. Con is sticking with his two other hens, so hopefully that'll keep the balance!

Nice to meet you!
Cheers
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:03 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Sounds like an interesting group of chooks Chris!

The paddock is a big plus - lucky chooks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:41 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

chooknewbie15 wrote:
Thanks Sue55 and Wtara. We're not too worried if he's a rooster because so far, he's not acting aggressive; more like a pet considering we saved his bacon a few weeks ago lol! And he actually was crowing in that pic Wtar which is why I posted it up, but boy, does it sound PITIFUL compared to our other rooster hahaha. Other rooster is about 2 years old so guess lil Forest's vocal chords need more growth or something ... ?! In any case, it provides a lot of entertainment for us listening to it!!

Yeah, sometimes Roosters can be very calm and friendly (sometimes even more than some hens) and make great pets. Haha lucky rooster, he is probably very grateful! Oh really? Great capture! I thought it looked like it, but I wasn't sure.. but don't worry, he will get better and find his voice, practice makes perfect for roosters. It is really funny when they first start, it doesn't sound dignified or sometimes can sound simply dreadful and not what you imagine a rooster to sound like at all and feel a bit embarrassed for it. It never deters them though and they soon get the hang of it and yours will especially with the influence of another mature rooster! Have a nice day~