Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Are all Auracanas mean to others in a mixed flock?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:13 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi, Everyone!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
HOPE THIS YEAR BRINGS YOU ALL GREAT JOYS, HEALTH, HAPPINESS, PROSPERITY AND GOOD FORTUNE!

ChickyChooky :blns

Hi, Everyone!

Are all Auracanas mean to others in a mixed flock?

I purchased a couple of Lavender araucana pullets a while back and found them to be quite nasty and mean to my Bantams (Silkies) so I put them in with my mixed flock of various Standard Rare breeds. That sorted them out as they were bigger than they were and had no choice but to remain on the bottom of the pecking order. But, when I added a couple of newbies to the Standard flock, they were quick to ensure that they weren't going to slip any lower in the pecking order by being quite aggressive about it.

The other thing that I found really disappointing was their lack of friendliness. Even though I handled them every day (2-3 times a day), they were both rather disgruntled at being handled. Finally, I decided to start all over again. I wanted to try to see if I could make them more friendly if I hatched them myself. So, I sold them both and got some fertile eggs. Unfortunately, out of that batch, as they got older one was so aggressive towards the other chicks that I put it down. The unfortunate thing is that the two that are left are still very young but I suspect they are both cockerals due to their playing the "boy eyeballing game". They started to behave aggressively towards my Silkie chicks whom they had been brought up with and were the same age as them (Now 10 1/2 wks old). Since I've now amalgamated them all with the older group of Silkie pullets (16wks old), they've lost their aggressiveness towards the others (temporary?) as they're too busy trying to keep a distance between them and the older Silkies. If they are boys, then I won't be able to keep them anyhow as I live in Adelaide suburbs.

My question is this: Have I just been unfortunate or is this typical for the breed? I think the Silkies' friendly temperament (I have had a couple of Silkies in the past who weren't very friendly but have put it down to them not being handled much and kept in a very small, crowded enclosure when they were young by the previous owner.), .... Anyway, I think the Silkies' friendly nature may have spoiled me as this lack of friendliness and desire to be held by the Auracanas quite off-putting. I was thinking of trying again with another lot of fertile eggs but I'm now thinking that I may be wasting my time. Can anyone advise me on this breed? I'm considering trying the Cream Legbars instead for the Blue eggs (I've found a new breeder who won't have any ready until next season) and hoping that their temperament might be of better standing. My research says that they can be flighty but my Polish were suppose to be flighty and they aren't, especially since I give them a slight haircut so they can see better!

I like to have a closer association with my chickens than most chicken owners so I really don't want to bother with the Auracanas if they are going to still behave in the same manner every time.

Hopefully, someone can advise me!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:46 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

There is variation within the breed but, yes Araucanas are intelligent, alert and have spunk, so they are quite a different style of bird from a Silkie. The Leghorn and leghorn derived breeds tend to be closer to an Araucana in intelligence etc., than they are to a Silkie too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:27 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

My (standard) Araucanas are quite docile,(i've had a pretty well closed line for 10+ years) more so than some other lines, but not as laid back and placid as my meat type birds. They do tend to hang out in their own groups but probably because they have been bonded in the breeding pens. The roosters do establish themselves at the top of the pecking order in the 'blokes pen' but once they have established everyones place - below theirs - peace reigns.
There are no issues with the other chooks (including Silkies) while everyone is free ranging, although there is lots of space.
With a week of pen training they are easily handled and will behave for a judge.
I'm not sure that Cream Legbars would be any less scatty than your Araucanas - the Mediterranean breeds (Leghorn) are renowned for being flighty.
If you are interested in some Araucana eggs next season I will advertise them on here when they are available -good quality backyarders, breeding to standard.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:15 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I had araucans for a number of years. The ones i had were rather standoffish, a bit flighty, and not very friendly but they fitted into the flock fine. No bullying issues I ever saw.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:23 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

We used to have a bantam Araucana hen and she was very flighty, a bit neurotic and the least friendly. We now only have pekins which are much friendlier.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:10 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Silkies can be as nasty as any if they have the upper hand in the pecking order. But my limited experience is that they are mostly a bit soft natured and vision-disadvantaged, and best kept in their own pen - not unfairly asked to try to mix it with other breeds.

Araucanas are not particularly chook-aggressive, not like Isa Browns. But they are intelligent and active, too smart to be at the bottom of the order. They are people-friendly but not so much as Pekins or Silkies. And they are all individuals: example one pen of 20 young Aras here - when I walk into the pen some fly up onto my shoulder to say hi, others keep distance and say "just leave food then piss off" but will stand to be picked up. They have not had much handling or more than basic attention.