Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What type of Ducks are these and how do I tell the sex?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:08 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

What type of Ducks are these and how do I tell the sex? Any advice for care, common medical issues and towards humans. We got the ducks when they were about 2weeks old from markets and have raised them since. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.89 MiB | Viewed 1935 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 1935 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.97 MiB | Viewed 1935 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:12 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Hi and welcome :)

The black one is a Muscovy, which is a separate species of duck, origination from South America. The other one seems to be a standard white duck (but no specific breed).

With the white one you should be able to tell the sex by the noise it makes. Does it make a fairly loud quack - that means it's female. If it makes a raspy or husky noise it's a boy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:25 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Cheers.. The black ones always trying to pick at my fingers and the white eats like a machine growing much quicker then the black. The white one makes a quiet quack noise.
Any medical issues with any of these type of ducks and are they safe to be around very young kids.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:09 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

They will not be aggressive to the kids. (unless they are broody or protecting ducklings). The worst that will happen is that they may scare them by being friendly. If you are concerned about this, teach the kids to throw some treats on the ground rather than encouraging hand feeding. My 2 year old and 4 year old grand kids are completely confident and safe around my mussies and whites.
Feed your ducks a good quality poultry layer feed and some fresh greens. Worm them at the change of seasons with a product such as Avitrol Plus or Wormout tablets and be prepared for poop everywhere.
Take care when handling them as duck legs are quite fragile.