Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Is he a Rhode Island red, black copper Maran or Welsummer?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:42 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hey all, finally in a house again, got a 1 acre place, so am finally able to get some poultry and birds.
This is the rooster we will be picking up off a friend tomorrow arvo.
I was just wondering if he is a Rhode Island red, a black copper Maran or a Welsummer as the three look too similar
for me to tell, I'm thinking a red or welsummer as they look like they have more orange and red feathers than
a black copper Maran.
I will try to get some better pics of him once we have him, this pic is from the ad for him.
Attachment:
rooster, Rhode Island red..jpg
rooster, Rhode Island red..jpg [ 111.74 KiB | Viewed 974 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:09 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:26 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

What sort of comb does he have? He doesn't look enough like either of the breeds, which makes me think perhaps he is just a cross. Particularly if he doesn't have a single comb.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:26 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

i don't know the roosters of those breeds well, but he looks a bit cross-like to me too. I too cant see his comb well

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:50 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

i think rhode island reds can come wtih a rose comb, however his colour does not look correct ot be rir. they are solid red all over, with some black in wings nad maybe tail

your bird is very hadnsome, and what you like is personal taste!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:03 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

He is none of the breeds you have mentioned. Just a crossbred of some sort. Fine for you if that's all you are after, but if you have your hopes up for a purebred to run with I would look elsewhere. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:19 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks all, nah not trying to do a pure run, just mainly wanted to know so as can know what breeds to put the babies as when we sell them.
Today we picked up 2 light sussex girls (point of lay and 7-8wks old and a big Aracauna looking female that will likely rule the roost until we get the rooster.
I think the Aracuana will rule the roost for now as she had gone off laying eggs and had been crowing (is why we were getting her, as we needed girls and a workmate of my wife had her and is in suburbia so couldn't keep her du)e to the crowing).

I'll put up pics of the works on the aviary, pen and the chooks when I can, both camera's went flat and we hadn't unpacked their chargers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:21 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

You might need to study the Araucana a bit more as more then likely a roo. Hen aracauna are on the small side.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:10 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Bower bird wrote:
Thanks all, nah not trying to do a pure run, just mainly wanted to know so as can know what breeds to put the babies as when we sell them.

It is irresponsible to try to sell crossbred chicks as purebred or as purebred crosses if the parents are non-descript mongrels. This is an easy way to get some very irate customers if and when they find out the chickens they purchased are not true to breed. :shoc It is fine to sell mixed breed crossbreds as just that, but not to try to claim breed status that is not true. Of course I’m sure you wouldn’t try to do that. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:34 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I think that Bower bird is just wanting to be able to describe the chicks probable mix rather than claiming a 'pure bred cross'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:59 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

sue55 wrote:
I think that Bower bird is just wanting to be able to describe the chicks probable mix rather than claiming a 'pure bred cross'

Yeah that is my take on it too....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:05 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Not doing that, just needed to know what breed the rooster was for that part of the breed description for the babies ie mixed x light sussex, an example of what it now will be now that people have responded and reckon he is a mixed one, so most of the baby descriptions will be mixed x mixed with the exception of the light sussex bubs (the hens are meant to be pure bred), they will be mixed x light sussex or mixed x mixed if the sussex end up not pure, I will get help on here to establish if the 2 hens are pure or not before bubs come along.

So no, no dodgy practices going on, purely wanted to know for the description of the bubs.
Not actually sure which box the chargers for the camera's are in, might get to that tomorrow with some more unpacking, so will hopefully have pics up soon of them all and the aviary and pen works.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:26 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Won't be any bubs on the way for a while as when we went to go into town to pick the rooster and some hens up beginning of last week we had troubles with the new car, so it ended up in the mechanics for a day or 2 and my friend I was going to pick the rooster up from went on holidays and won't be back until Jan 16.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:55 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ok, 2 car problems later we finally got to arrange again to pick up the rooster, this time we made it and also bought a laying hen as well.
Here he is finally, his colours look better in the sun rather than the shade so he doesn't look as pretty in the indoor pics. We named him George, short for Boy George as he is a very pretty boy.
He will get even better looking as he is still missing a few feathers from being around other roosters at where we bought him from, will be great once they regrow.

Attachments:
Crop of George.jpg
Crop of George.jpg [ 858.65 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]
IMG_0657.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG [ 500.66 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]
IMG_0634.JPG
IMG_0634.JPG [ 517.31 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]
IMG_0631.JPG
IMG_0631.JPG [ 510.89 KiB | Viewed 716 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:14 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

It's still a bit difficult to see his head, but it looks like he's got a "blade comb" - a sort of straight single comb with no serrations. Commonly seen in crossbred Araucanas

From that, and from the other colouring, I'd say he's a very pretty crossbreed with a range of breeds in him.

When selling offspring from him, the best option will be to label them "farmyard crosses". You could say "crossbreed rooster over Light Sussex hen", but nothing more precise.

His offspring might give a better idea of his background, as long as you know who the mother was :)