Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - excited about hatching day, but questions & other questions

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:31 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Attachment:
DSCF0855.JPG
DSCF0855.JPG [ 2.58 MiB | Viewed 375 times ]

hi all,
in this box are our broody sussex that has been faithfully sitting on 4 eggs for 20 days now as well as another 2 eggs for 19 days.... (ahem), a black silkie that muscled in on the nesting activities about 1.5 weeks ago and an Australorp who decided this MUST be the place to lay her eggs since the incubation duties are clearly being taken care of. :rofl: Sooooooo, as of this morning, it seems there is at least one chick. :o
Having requested advice from many on whether this brooding business (time of year etc) is a good thing or not - thanks, by the way! - we ended up deciding to let nature do the deciding. :rofl: (There is enough room in the coop for everyone, including the other broody silkie that couldn't resist getting started once the sussex got going. Nobody is separated from anyone. The roo wouldn't hear of that, in any case. Any time I try to adjust things in the coop, I feel myself being watched like a hawk and he goes in and inspects my handiwork immediately afterwards....) Anyway, will post updates as we progress through this process, since I have seen many posted questions about "can hens share a nest" and about "rearing young either my mum or by community chook efforts", etc.

Onto my question:
A previous broody hatched a chick about 13 weeks ago. I thought I should be able to tell its gender by now, but being unsure of everything - could I get some help, please?

The egg was PURE white.
The friend from whom we got the egg said the only hens she has that lay white eggs are her ancona and aussie game.
She THINKS the rooster was a Wyandotte - not certain though and I have no idea which variety anyway.
The chick has a stocky build compared to my others, especially the legs and while the face has been reddish from early days, there is not much development of comb and no real wattles evident. That makes me lean towards it being a girl - but pics I have seen of games - - -wellllllll......!

Legs are yellow with black smudges around the scales and seem capable of digging all the way to China. :-)
Feathers are dark grey/brown, not as black as australorps and in addition to the green tint on the feathers, there's a pinky and bluey hue to this tint.
There seems now to be a whitish mantle forming, but the colouring is patterned (Is that pencilled??). There are a few speckles on the back, which seem to be getting less obvious now that some new feathering is developing.
Attachment:
DSCF0821.JPG
DSCF0821.JPG [ 2.5 MiB | Viewed 375 times ]

The personality of this bird - - not shy that's for sure. Curious, bossy - but not of the chest charging type and when am looking for it, I have learnt to look UP - it is always on the top rung, top perch etc.

any thoughts/help or comments you could offer will be appreciated.
thanks so much for reading this.
Ingrid

Attachments:
File comment: so you can see posture and shape
DSCF0832.JPG
DSCF0832.JPG [ 2.54 MiB | Viewed 375 times ]
File comment: neck feather pattern
DSCF0817.JPG
DSCF0817.JPG [ 2.44 MiB | Viewed 375 times ]
File comment: chest feathers
DSCF0807.JPG
DSCF0807.JPG [ 2.31 MiB | Viewed 375 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:52 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Yes he looks like a Wyandotte x Ancona.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:10 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for your answer Andrewschooks. So I can learn, would you mind sharing what it is that leads you to that?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:56 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The rose comb is Wyandotte. Ancona can also have a rose comb. Both should have yellow legs. Ancona should also have the black mottling over the yellow.
"Always on the top" - Definately Ancona!
Not so sure about 'he'. Those neck feathers have rounded ends if you look closely , and there is no wattle development.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:50 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi, Sue. Thanks for your info. I also thought that by 13 weeks, the gender should be more obvious. I have been guessing correctly from pics in other posts. Not so straight forward here- .....
We could start a book.... :-)
In any case - we have chooks for eggs and entertainment and I am asking questions because I am curious, not because it is SO important to have one or other gender or breed. For us, it's fun, though I have to admit it will be easier getting eggs from a girl..... ha ha.

always on the top - yes - - - - story of its life: this chick was sharing the top rung (1.3 m up) of the roost area at 7 to 8 days old. I went in to check on them one evening and couldn't find bub. Mum was on the top rung and bub was nowhere to be seen (maybe they ate it???) until mum adjusted her position and bub was visible between her legs. I went into slight panic about falling and injuries, before realising I was being a bit nonsensical. After all, we had dismantled the "nursery separation area" only a few days before because chickky was jumping out of the 900mm high enclosure and all the other chooks were coming into the enclosure to visit the new arrival (and check out the food, I suppose) - so really no point in trying to separate them off. If he/she could manage the nursery fence at 5 days old, why not the top roosting rung at 7 days old?

will continue with updates as more news/developments. :-)
Ingrid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:08 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

hi all,
Just an update. This "chick" is now 17 weeks old and is the same one I posted on this thread last month. There is still not much happening on the face, but - - ahem - - are these "BOY FEATHERS" at the back??? :-? He/she gets on with everyone, no squabbles and also no crowing yet ......
Thoughts will be appreciated!! :biggrin: Thanks, Ingrid

Attachments:
longneck02.JPG
longneck02.JPG [ 72.24 KiB | Viewed 165 times ]
longneck01.JPG
longneck01.JPG [ 60.36 KiB | Viewed 165 times ]
DSCF1076.JPG
DSCF1076.JPG [ 2.08 MiB | Viewed 165 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:24 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Definitely a cockerel, and you are correct his male saddle feathers are a dead give away, and also the hackle feathers down his neck.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:49 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

:-) thanks for the reply!