Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - sexing lemon pyle bantam Brahma chicks?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Just wondering if there are any tips on sexing these young or do I have to wait until they are several weeks old? They're currently one and a half weeks old.
This should be interesting as it looks like my pics are going to view upside down. Hopefully somebody is an expert on sexing Bat Brahmas... :biggrin:

Attachment:
IMG_3656.JPG
IMG_3656.JPG [ 358.94 KiB | Viewed 2169 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3657.JPG
IMG_3657.JPG [ 318.09 KiB | Viewed 2169 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3661.JPG
IMG_3661.JPG [ 424.57 KiB | Viewed 2169 times ]

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a tripawd Beagle mix, 2 Pekins, a Bantam Light Sussex, a Bantam Salmon Faverolles, a Bantam Australian Langshan, a Bantam Plymouth Rock, a Bantam Brahma, a Bantam Australorp, a hive of bees and a family of boys.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I know nothing about the breed, but they look too difficult to tell (after standing on my head to view them hahahaha) i think wait a while. Keep on eye on any of the combs being more developed than the others and pinker (probably boys if you see that)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:06 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

NellyG wrote:
I know nothing about the breed, but they look too difficult to tell (after standing on my head to view them hahahaha) i think wait a while. Keep on eye on any of the combs being more developed than the others and pinker (probably boys if you see that)

Thanks for standing on your head NellyG. I hope you are a practised yoga expert and didn't pull a muscle! I think I will indeed have to wait awhile :-) Although I noticed on an old thread that somebody commented that brahma females feather early in the shoulder area, (and boys very late) and mine both now have feather tufts on their shoulders at two weeks... so I'm hoping!!

By the way, how did you get the smiley hen and chicks into your signature? This forum brings out my Primary School instincts and I'm irresistibly attracted to the idiotic smilies.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a tripawd Beagle mix, 2 Pekins, a Bantam Light Sussex, a Bantam Salmon Faverolles, a Bantam Australian Langshan, a Bantam Plymouth Rock, a Bantam Brahma, a Bantam Australorp, a hive of bees and a family of boys.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:07 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

By the way, I've just noticed this thread was accidentally posted in 'What is this?' I have no idea how that happened. Sorry!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:16 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Probably someone (one of the mods) moved it here as this is the right place for sexing questions. As to how I got the chickens into my signature - Im sorry I forget! It was sooo long ago lol. I found them by googling I remember and had to find one small enough for the BYP signature (there are guidelines) and after that it is all blank! Sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:21 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

heres the guidelines

Some pointers to bear in mind related to signatures:

* When you have 100 posts on the forum, you will be eligible to have a signature
* It may have 1 live clickable link
* It should be no more than 3 lines in length (including any blank lines)
* It may have up to 1 picture
* Signature pictures must be no greater than 6kb in size, no wider than 400 pixels and no taller than 50 pixels.

In addition to the above points, please ensure that any links that are included in signatures are poultry-related. We are also happy to have links to personal blogs, particularly those that relate to lifestyle topics such as farming, gardening, pets etc. The sort of links we do not want are links to commercial sites on topics that are unrelated to our forum.

With regard to signature links to other poultry forums, they are permitted if those forums are supportive of BYP. A condition of having a link to another forum in your signature is that a live clickable link to Backyard Poultry Forum goes into your signature on the other forum. That is a fair exchange between folks that have mutual poultry interests. The BYP link on any other forum should go to http://forum.backyardpultry.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:44 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

NellyG wrote:
heres the guidelines

Some pointers to bear in mind related to signatures:

* When you have 100 posts on the forum, you will be eligible to have a signature
* It may have 1 live clickable link
* It should be no more than 3 lines in length (including any blank lines)
* It may have up to 1 picture
* Signature pictures must be no greater than 6kb in size, no wider than 400 pixels and no taller than 50 pixels.

In addition to the above points, please ensure that any links that are included in signatures are poultry-related. We are also happy to have links to personal blogs, particularly those that relate to lifestyle topics such as farming, gardening, pets etc. The sort of links we do not want are links to commercial sites on topics that are unrelated to our forum.

With regard to signature links to other poultry forums, they are permitted if those forums are supportive of BYP. A condition of having a link to another forum in your signature is that a live clickable link to Backyard Poultry Forum goes into your signature on the other forum. That is a fair exchange between folks that have mutual poultry interests. The BYP link on any other forum should go to http://forum.backyardpultry.com

Thanks NellyG!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:35 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Pretty sure I've got one of each. One of them is looking very manly... They are 5 weeks old tomorrow so some of you experts will know for sure. They are truly gorgeous. Blimey!! the Light Sussex chick and the Australorp chick are at that not-very-pretty stage, a bit patchy and scrawny looking, but the Brahmas at the same age exactly, are fluffy and gorgeous.

Will post more photos later, hopefully the right way up... :rooll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:17 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

one of each is good!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:43 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

NellyG wrote:
one of each is good!

Better than two boys anyway. Unfortunately, I can't keep a boy... although what difference it would make at the moment, I'm not sure. Since all the girls are crowing... sigh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:44 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

If you keep a boy, the girls are likely to stop crowing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:14 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

sue55 wrote:
If you keep a boy, the girls are likely to stop crowing.

Ha ha. Yes, I guessed that might be the case. I'm even thinking about chatting to the neighbours about it... Especially as the boy (I think) is so utterly gorgeous! But we live on a big battle-axe shaped block and have 6 sets of neighbours on our immediate boundaries, one of them very close up to the chicken runs, so it is unlikely everyone would agree to us keeping him. In a few weeks, if I'm completely smitten with him, I might have to take on the challenge.

Otherwise, I'll be looking for a home in Vic for a GORGEOUS, calm, easygoing lemon pyle bantam brahma roo with colouring that looks like a caramel swirl ice-cream.... Anyone??

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:02 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Okay. Here are the 5 and a half week old pics of Angelica and Rufus. I don't know much, but I reckon I've got a roo...

I've opened and cropped these in PhotoShop. Hope they will show the right way up! :shock:

Attachment:
File comment: The boy?
Rufus profile in hand2.JPG
Rufus profile in hand2.JPG [ 107.19 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]

Attachment:
Rufus front in hand.JPG
Rufus front in hand.JPG [ 114.79 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]

Attachment:
Rufus with Vita.JPG
Rufus with Vita.JPG [ 79.34 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]

So that is the boy, I think?

Here is my girly looking chick.

Attachment:
Angelica profile in hand.JPG
Angelica profile in hand.JPG [ 128.46 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]

Attachment:
Angelica half profile in hand.JPG
Angelica half profile in hand.JPG [ 139.44 KiB | Viewed 1835 times ]

Both the Brahma chicks are very calm in my hands, while the Australorp and Sussex chicks go bananas and struggle the whole time. But the Sussex chick is very brave on the ground and follows me about on her own. Interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:08 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Rufus is certainly looking like a boy!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Cannot say I have enough experience to comment on their gender, but CUTE, they are !!