Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Help colour & gender of Marans from mixed coloured parents

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi All,

I'm hoping that someone with knowledge of Marans colours can help with my colour problem and I'd welcome anyone's thoughts on the genders to please :thumbs:

I asked the below question in "Breeds and Breeding" however I now think it may be more suited to this category?

I have copied the original post and included the link as it has pictures of the chicks at different stages from 2 weeks, they are now 7 weeks.

I'd really appreciate any assistance you can give please :read

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8041164#p832627

Post subject: Pure Marans or Pure crossbreeds, please help Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi All,

I bought some fertile eggs from a Breeder and was told they were Silver Cuckoo Marans x 3 and Blue/Black Copper Marans x 2, the eggs were no where as dark as I expected.

The 2 Blue/Black Coppers both hatched, while with the Silver Cuckoo 1 not fertile, 1 pipped/chipped then failed to hatch overnight :-( 1 hatched and is the biggest.

They are 2+weeks now and I was getting concerned as all the google images of Silver Cuckoos were dark chicks and "Legs" was a very pale lemon fluffy chick (it's hatch Mum partly crushed it's egg while hatching and all that you could see were these big strong legs), as the wing feathers started to come in they were looking biscuit in colour, definitely not dark grey.

As I was preparing to send a message to the breeder to ask if I had the right eggs I realised that these feathers looked very similar to our older Wheaton Marans :hmmm: so I asked if there was any chance Legs may be Wheaton, the reply shocked me, what I believed to be Silver Cuckoo eggs where in fact Silver Cuckoo Roo over Wheaton Hens :-?

So I have lots of questions now as I was looking at staring a breeding program;
Is there a genetic reason to do this (mixed parent colours)?
Can I call Legs a Silver Cuckoo or is she (being hopeful) just a pure cross coloured Marans?
If I was to breed with her what colour would I use Silver Cuckoo or Wheaton?
What colour chicks should I expect, I'd imagine a variety of colours as she is from mixed coloured parents?
Should she just be a layer in my home flock, hopefully of darker eggs than she came from, another disappointment..

I also found out that the Blue/Black Copper Marans are actually Blue Wheaton Roo over Black Copper Hens :aaah!

So the same questions as above are relevant for Marion and Nuggets with the following modifications;
Are they Blue Wheaton or Black/Blue Copper, their wing feathers are charcoal/blue definitely not true black, with dark brown?
If I was to breed with them what colour would I use?

Maybe this will be a learning lesson and I'll just have them for their eggs and as pretty layers, not the start of a breeding line, they'd better be pretty, aaah humbug....

Thanks in anticipation of your help :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:37 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi All,

Here are the Marans chicks at 7 weeks, I'd really appreciate some thoughts on their genders if possible please :laughing

Also are they looking true to a colour/variety or are the mixed parent colours having an influence on them :aaah!

Do you think due to their background colour I should scrap the idea of breeding with them (assuming I have a mix of genders) and instead keep them as layers for my home flock and hope for a better egg colour then they came from themselves :think:

Looking forward to your thoughts :th

Last edited by kck on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:42 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ok, here's Nugget at 7 weeks, fairly sure he's a cockerel?

Your thoughts?

Is he looking like you would expect a Blue Copper to look like or is his colouring showing the influence of the Blue Wheaton Roo?

Attachments:
File comment: Nugget 7 weeks, larger pink comb, leg feathering, still no tail.
DSC_0757c.jpg
DSC_0757c.jpg [ 196.78 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]
File comment: Nugget 7 weeks, lots of copper around neck, on chest and splashes through wings.
DSC_0760c.jpg
DSC_0760c.jpg [ 88.98 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]
File comment: Nugget 7 weeks, wing feathers narrowing.
DSC_0769c.jpg
DSC_0769c.jpg [ 501.79 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]
File comment: Nugget 7 weeks, standing front on.
DSC_0773c.jpg
DSC_0773c.jpg [ 480.54 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:47 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ok, Marion's parents are from the same pen as Nugget (possibly different Hens), so Blue Wheaton Roo over Black Copper Hens.

Marion is behaving like a "little hen" however I'm not sure if I'm just being optimistic?

Again thoughts on colouring and gender please :-D

Attachments:
File comment: Marion 7 weeks, comb is small and still mostly dark grey, still is the only one with a tail.
DSC_0764c.jpg
DSC_0764c.jpg [ 153.55 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]
File comment: Marion 7 weeks, copper neck and heavily feathered legs.
DSC_0772c.jpg
DSC_0772c.jpg [ 409.56 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]
File comment: Marion 7 weeks, wing feathers are more rounded.
DSC_0779c.jpg
DSC_0779c.jpg [ 173.64 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]
File comment: Marion 7 weeks, no colour on chest, however not sure about some of the soft tail feathers.
DSC_0787c.jpg
DSC_0787c.jpg [ 137.57 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:54 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Here's Legs, it's comb is in between Nugget and Marion for size, however is a soft pink, like it's legs.

Body colouring is similar to my older Wheaton Hens with the addition of banding, however being from a Silver Cuckoo Roo over Wheaton Hens, colour may not be a way of determining gender?

Thoughts on gender and colouring would be great please :-D

These hatching's are not from my own hens, hence the mixed coloured parents, I thought I was buying Blue/Black Copper Mararns and Sliver Cuckoo Marans eggs :-(

Attachments:
File comment: Legs 7 weeks, just a few feathers on legs and toe, just starting to show a tail.
DSC_0750c.jpg
DSC_0750c.jpg [ 207.74 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]
File comment: Legs 7 weeks, showing a hint blue/grey on the wings and shoulder.
DSC_0752c.jpg
DSC_0752c.jpg [ 155.27 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]
File comment: Legs 7 weeks, a few splashes of blue/grey on the chest.
DSC_0754c.jpg
DSC_0754c.jpg [ 93.8 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]
File comment: Legs 7 weeks, is the banding on the feathers from the Cuckoo Roo?
DSC_0770c.jpg
DSC_0770c.jpg [ 200.61 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]
File comment: Legs 7 weeks, sunning those pointy wing feathers.
DSC_0780c.jpg
DSC_0780c.jpg [ 169.53 KiB | Viewed 424 times ]