Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Guinea Keets 2012

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guinea Keets 2012
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:20 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

The following video was taken this morning of the first batch of keets. They are right on three weeks old (compare with first clip) & starting to look like miniature Guinea Fowl (a good thing too because that is what they are :laughing). Have just given them their morning feed of lettuce leaf which they have become accustomed to getting (twice a day) & really look forward to it, watching me eagerly through the Perspex in readiness every time. I do hope lettuce is OK for them? The Cinnamon keet is certainly enjoying his/her share. I will probably start looking @ running these little guys outside on the grass in a small well protected pen on warm days in the near future, all going well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:40 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Interesting how they seem to like any bit of lettuce that another keet might have in its beak rather than all the other lettuce on the floor.

btw

i like your brooder could you please show me a full on photo of it please

cheers B

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:55 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Sure, here you go;

From the front (lid on)

From the back (lid on)

Looking inside from front (half lid off); you can just see the pilot light & wire enclosed heating elements middle upper rear end

Purchased from Brookfield Poultry Equipment Here

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:46 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

I was actually thinking about getting a GQH Brooder as they looked pretty good. Your post makes me think it is even a a better idea now.

J

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:53 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Lettuce is fine for them, not too much in the way of nutrients, mainly water. If you have a growers market near you can usually pick up big bunchs of english spinach, bokchoi and other greens for a couple of dollars, that's what I feed the ducklings.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:52 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Those brooders are very light to carry and easy to clean as well. We moved some for a friend and I was impressed with them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:01 am 
Wise One
Wise One

There is a Sunday Market close by that I rarely get to so shall have to investigate thanks Squeaker.

I could really do with another of these brooders @ this time of the year. They do make the care/maintenance of young poultry so much easier.

:-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:16 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I took this video this morning of the second hatched group of Guineas for the season with the emphasis being on the two Silver Keets. They (the Silvers) & their hatch mates including six Cinnamon & a few Lavender & Pearl Pied Keets were moved into this brooder yesterday, & have adjusted well to it. They are about a week old I think. Towards the end of the video you may notice the two silvers together @ front & facing each other. You may also notice that "shaky" head behaviour when one of the Silvers is focusing on, then pecking @ a piece of lettuce leaf due to poorer vision no doubt, & fairly common for the red-eye birds (cinnamon & silver). The Silvers "down" is a very light sort of caramelly lavender (for want of better description) colour. You may note that they don't have the obvious head striping & darker lavender "down" colour that the Lavenders do (colour too washed out due to the combined effect of two diluting factors). Both Lavender & Silver Keets bred from the Lavender pen (as expected).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:12 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Following is a video I took a couple of days ago of the first hatched keets (see first clip this thread). They have progressed now to a small protected outside run (weather hot/mild) & are just on four weeks old. They have adapted nicely & are continuing to do well. One wing has been clipped (they can fly from approx three weeks) & this is their second or so supervised outside of pen exploration. A little lettuce thrown down was enough to encourage them to come out & play. The Cinnamon keet is still a little unsure of the new external pen environment.

Plus, I thought I would post a photo of some eggs just prior to going into the incubator. Each of these trays holds exactly four dozen eggs, so just over seven dozen eggs to go in. The tray on the left has eggs from the Pearl pen (four hens), & the tray on the right has eggs from the Lavender pen (four hens). Hens in both pens have been laying almost non-stop since commencement this season. The Lavenders came into lay a couple of weeks later than the Pearls & I put this down to the Pearls initially being free ranged, but other-wise not really sure? Yesterday there was only one egg from the pearl pen, but otherwise both pens would produce three to four eggs a day more often than not. I do get the occasional soft shelled egg? They get mostly laying pellets (always available except @ night), some scratch grain, & greens (usually grass clippings) every second day. The Pearls seem to be quieter than the lavender for some reason & I have almost to stop until they get out of my way. The original Lavender males I purchased were pretty mad, so temperament maybe strain related?

The eggs have since gone in to fill the incubator

And just after the eggs went in, some new hatched keets came out. All of the Pearls & Cinnamon (nine of this hatch) came from the Pearl pen, & all of the Lavender & Silver (three of this hatch) came from the Lavender pen (as expected). As I would like to produce approx 25 of each, Silver & Cinnamon keets, I will have to hatch approx two hundred keets (because for every one Silver/Cinnamon hatched there will be approx 3 Lavender/Pearl Grey keets hatched according to probability). I plan to move all keets other than Silver & Cinnamon on early this season.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:23 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Great videos! I enjoyed watching them. I haven't had them for a while and had forgotten that characteristic noise. :laughing

Great incubator setup too rollyard. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:15 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Amazing how you always get some, that despite having been outside a couple of times, seconds later find themselves trapped inside with no idea where the door is :-)
Only a week and a half to go for my lot of eggs, the broody is still sitting tight, will try and get some video when they hatch. Better not get too far ahead of myself, you know what they say about not counting your keets before they hatch.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:35 am 
Wise One
Wise One

That characteristic noise (if it is the hen in background calling you are thinking of) CO7 is probably a sound quite a few are happy enough not to remember :laughing

Yes, they can do silly things sometimes Squeaker. Only 1.5 weeks to go before your keets hatch....I have everything crossed that all goes well :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:23 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Funny how the dumb guinea antics are coming out. Oooohhh how do I get out from behind the wire.

Last edited by mr bellmere on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:14 am 
Wise One
Wise One

mr bellmere wrote:
Funny how the dumb guinea antics are coming out. Oooohhh how do I get out from behind the wire.

Like how they can always get over the fence & out of their yard, but can't work out how to get back in :aaargh: They do drive us silly sometimes Mr Bellmere :-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:16 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

First hatched keets for 2012 @ approx six weeks old (just under I think), video taken today. You may note that their clipped wings (clipped just prior to four weeks of age?) have all but grown out now. When they fly still a little off-balanced though. They are quite familiar with being outside of their pen @ this stage. Recently moved into a larger moveable run & have adjusted well (they are so adaptable). This may be the last video of these first hatched keets on their own as will likely combine with the second hatched batch in near future, before they get much older.

You may also note that the Cinnamon is still a little lost & unsure when moving amongst his mates; fairly typical I have found of the red-eyed birds last season, & due I believe to impaired vision & resulting inability to accurately assess surrounds. The Cinnamon keet becomes quite anxious & lost when separated by only a small distance from hatch-mates, & does tend to run into objects @ times. Yet when the red-eyed birds are up-close & concentrate on focussing, they are able to feed or "target" their mark, perhaps after a couple of attempts though :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next