Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Raising Peachicks

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raising Peachicks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:44 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Each year my peahens lay eggs that hatch fine. I keep the chicks in large cage with the mothers, separately. Feed game bird crumbles then game bird pellets. I dose them with meds for coccidiosis and antibiotics for Blackhead. All good. Then at about 3-4 months old they stared losing their balance and use of their legs. And I lost them all. I keep them locked in pens with their mother until they are about 4 months old. I have chickens too, not in the same pens.

Any idea what is going on here? Is it something to do with how I’m raising them, or could it be that they are inbred (which is also a distinct possibility).

I don’t want any more peacocks and I’m going to get rid of the eggs this year, I thought I’d give them away. Would a peahen sit on goose eggs? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Raising Peachicks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:05 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

No advice MargC but that is so disappointing. You should have no difficulty 're-homing' peafowl eggs through the Noticeboard, they are sought after - and very few people sell them. Not sure about goose eggs under a peahen, they generally need higher humidity and the mum-goose wets her feathers to keep humidity up for her eggs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:06 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for the goose information, I did not realise that, goose eggs would clearly not work.

I will give the eggs away with full disclosure of their possible genetic problems..

CHeers, Marg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:15 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I don't think inbreeding would be the reason - if it was that bad you'd see some physical faults well before they reached that point. If not cocci, more likely 'something' in feed imbalance or deficiency. They need more than good chicken or game-bird feed - more variety, plenty of fruit etc, - not solely high protein grain-based.