Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Noisy Guinea Fowl

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Noisy Guinea Fowl
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:01 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hello once again ,

I have a query regarding my guineafowl and am hoping someone may have an idea before we all go deaf or mad !!

One of my darlings has decided to call out all the time for the past few days. I have no idea what her problem is and have tried extra feed and diversion tactics to no avail.The others are quiet as she was before this ,and only make noise if something upsets them or they see something out of the norm which may only be a couple of times a day.They have been under a bit of stress lately with feral birds attacking but that has been resolved now so all should be back to normal.

I also think that all may be girls so could this be the problem, she is seeking a mate ? The noisy one is definitely female and about 6 mths old

Thanks folks Muddilyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:30 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Not sure sorry. My experiences with guinea fowl is they go around in groups, and make a raucas when alarmed (which can be a lot of the time :D ) It might help to add some more birds

Andy.V

Post subject: Noisy Guinea Fowl
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:56 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks for that advice it is appreciated . I have since spoken to a breeder and we think it is because I have no male in the group and it was " that time " and one has started to lay almost at the same time as all the noise began. All has settled now.

I know that they can be loud when alarmed etc but this noise was different , like a constant calling. In terms maybe like a bull bellowing for a cow ! and it was non stop.

My work committments have increased so I am downsizing my mottley crew sadly so the guineas are going to a new home and will have a male companion to restore some balance to the group as it is easier for me this way than increasing my flock. Will be sad to see them go just the same .

Cheers and thanks again